Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Definition of professional installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Definition of professional installation

Companies have cracked down on warranty coverage by requiring "professional installation". Would having a licensed electrician connect power qualify?

How do we get around being charged $$$ by local companies for the install?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Definition of professional installation

In my experience, if the installer has a license then they qualify. I've dealt purely with Pentair products though
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

What are you trying to install?

You can call the equipment manufacturer and they will usually tell you what is required for "professionally installed". Sometimes you just have to pay the money to get the installation done for warranty. Some people have paid an electrician or plumber a small(er) fee to verify that the DIY install was done to code and then they sign the documents attesting to it.

Sometimes you just DIY and forget about the warranty as many are written these days to give the widest possible latitude to the manufacturer.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm thinking about 2 pumps, SWC, controller. My licensed electrician would sign for me but I don't know if Pentair or Hayward would accept this.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyChallenged View Post
    I'm thinking about 2 pumps, SWC, controller. My licensed electrician would sign for me but I don't know if Pentair or Hayward would accept this.
    I think that would be acceptable or, at the very least, Ive heard of people doing that before and getting the warranty. You can call either manufacturer and ask, they will tell you.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Professional installation is done for compensation by a party compliant with the regulations of relevant governing bodies.

Ray

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Some companies require the installer to be certified by them and others only want an insured/licensed installer. I am a certified Weil-Mclain installer for home boilers. To get that I had to attend a couple of their installer classes. Without this, I could not do warranty work and would not be able to purchase boilers thru normal channels. I have been to a couple of failed boilers by non certed installers who wanted me to take care of the warranty work for due to bad installs. Sorry, can't help, is the only answer I give.

I never really looked into what the pool heater companies want for Pro installs. I do know that a couple of Hayward heaters in my area were denied coverage because they were not "installed properly" although one i looked at was done exactly to their manual by the home owner.

Maybe Paul has some insight to this.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

8. Back To Top    #8

In my experience they want an involved from a licensed individual or pool company
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I have only dealt with Pentair, but when I called them and asked for a definition of "Profesional Install" as it relates to their warranty and rebate programs, I was told to just include a copy of the bill for installation from a professional. Plumber, electrician, pool service company all seem to meet their requirements. I have a local "pool service company" who supplied a receipt for their "install". I got my rebate from Pentair and confirmed that my pump was registered for warranty coverage. If they don't define it any better than "Profesional install" most any related professional should qualify.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

It is per jurisdiction, if your state requires pool contractors to be licensed- that is the warranty mandate. (I have & continue to serve as a regulatory consultant to the major manufacturers)

Ray

11. Back To Top    #11

I think PoolguyinCT gets the rule right, I just don't think that's how it works in practice.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall