Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Pressure with Glass Media

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Pressure with Glass Media

My pressure through my sand filter which is now glass media is 18PSI
    I'm experiencing fine particles on the pool floor
    I used quiet a bit of DE as previously advised starting of with a cup then adding more but the pressure didn't rise and the fine particles seemed to go straight through the filter media when vacuuming, clouding the pool again
    I checked inside hoping to see a coating over the glass media but there was nothing
    After backwashing I vacuumed to waste OK
    My query is, does the initial high pressure force the DE and fine particles through the media and should I try to put a restriction on the flow to the filter
    10,000 gallons inground Leisure fibreglass pool, Hayward powerline pump, Quality120 glass media filter, 27kw output air source heat pump and thermal cover.
    Retractable cover with Polycarbonate roof and glass side for all year round use. K-2006C test kit and Speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Pressure with Glass Media

I have recycled glass media which is working very well now, but if I had it to do over, I would use normal pool filter sand.

When my filter was new, I don't think it was doing a very good job. I have no proof or anything, but it seems to be working better now. When it was new, I learned to let it run for a few days on low speed to allow it to get a bit dirty, before using a higher speed on the pump. I added the DE much later, so I'm guessing that it gradually filled in with fines at the early stages.

So if I were in your shoes, I'd try running it at a lower flow rate for a few days. If you don't have a two speed or variable speed pump, it's better for the pump to throttle the flow on the return side rather than the suction side of your pump.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

No I don't have a two speed pump and I think it's to powerful for my pool (290 litres/minute)
    My thoughts were the same to put a valve after the pump
    Running to waste works but uses a lot of water. A 10 minute run uses nearly 3m
    10,000 gallons inground Leisure fibreglass pool, Hayward powerline pump, Quality120 glass media filter, 27kw output air source heat pump and thermal cover.
    Retractable cover with Polycarbonate roof and glass side for all year round use. K-2006C test kit and Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I replaced my pump for a smaller one and now my pressure is down to 9 PSI and filtering OK
    I used some flexible pipe for connection but they come in 5 feet length. Are their shorter ones

5. Back To Top    #5

It is normal to have lower pressure with a smaller pump. Pool filters operate more efficiently at lower pressure. Changing the pipe might slightly lower the pressure further. But, I don't think it is worth the effort.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm quiet happy with the pressure now. I was just enquiring whether there were shorter lengths of flexible pipe with the cuffs