Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coverstar - Rope Broke

1. Back To Top    #1

Coverstar - Rope Broke

Was retracting the cover when the rope on the drive side/cover broke. It is an undermount cover running on tracks embedded in side wall. How do you reattach/repair the rope? Noticed the rope is not even on the 2 rope holders near the drive and suspect this contributed to problem. Should I remove all rope from the drive pulleys? I have attached pictures for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,
    Duraski
    18'x40'x9' Vinyl, Coverstar undermount
    Century VFD, Cholrine Gen, Raypak Heater
    Sundance Hottub

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Coverstar - Rope Broke

This happens a lot. Most likely the rope broke last time you closed the pool. Then when you opened it the ropes came out of the pulleys and got tangled, Or if it broke while you were using it the tension snapped it back.

This can be a simple fix. If you are handy and have some patience.

You will want to get 2 new ropes since they shrink and expand after use so using an old and new one can cause problems in keeping the leading edge straight.

If you decide to get 2 ropes and do it yourself let me know and I can give you some steps to run the ropes. If you have someone do it then it shouldn't take them more than 2 hours to run 2 new ropes.

From what I can see in your pictures it looks like the rest of the system should be in good shape.

If you have to close the pool you can remove the ropes and pull it manually then use the switch to open it.

Let me know if you need anything else.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Just a side note Honey Badger - great to have you here. I'll just think of you as Mr. Autocover. I hadn't caught any of your posts before that I recall.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Just a side note Honey Badger - great to have you here. I'll just think of you as Mr. Autocover. I hadn't caught any of your posts before that I recall.
    Thanks, happy to share my knowledge.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ha! My go-to guy for auto-covers!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Folks - I can see you are experts. My coverstar rope just broke too and I can see you can source these ropes from a number of online retailers - which I will do.

My coverstar guy wants $800 or more for all the work but it doesn't seem too difficult after reading all the threads and watching youtube videos. Some of the ropes come with "tracers". I'm assuming this is some kind of mechanism to lead the rope through the channel when its come out - which is my issue. My rope came right out of the chanel and so I can't use it to seed the next rope in. So my question is, how do you seed the rope through the recessed rope guide which I can't access other than to push rope in the channel until it goes to the other end. How can one move rope into the guide when my broken rope is already out?

Thanks.
    Pool: 40,000 Gal, In-Ground, Pebbletec, 75 ft. X 10 ft. Lap Lane, w/ 60ft Infinity Edge Rock Wall, 60ft X 3ft Catch Basin, Pentair Intelliflo Variable 160, Pentair Waterfall Pump AF-180, Pentair Triton II Filter TR-100, Jandy Aqualink RS, Jandy Ultraflex In-Floor, Aquabot, SPA: 700 Gal, Pentair Wisperflow PMP WFE-30, swim laps almost every day Apr - Oct.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You use a metal fish tape to run along the back of the track and some heavy thread or wire to pull it along the front. Or you can just pull the track out and run it by hand

8. Back To Top    #8

I just ran in to this very problem. One side broke, far to one end of the pool, but I don't think it came off the cover itself as we can still see a lot of rope along the wall. So a DIY replacement is doable? I have been unsure if we'd be able to thread it back. Will the new rope come with instructions or do I need someone here to send me everything they know?!

We have some small kiddos in the house and I am terrified without the ability to cover this. Any advice here? We do have door alarms, so I will get sleep. Not sure I would, otherwise.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Central IL 19,100 gal, IG (circa 2007), vinyl (replaced 2017) our 2nd season with pool
    Sand filter (PentAir Tagelus 2014) auto chlorine feeder which I mostly ignore
    Test kit-TF-100xL