How do dimensions impact cost of gunite pools?

Jun 22, 2016
FL
Assuming the same depth, what is the more relevant cost driver, linear feet perimeter or square footage of pool surface?

Our current design is a 100LF/600sqft free form. We are looking at alternative designs, including a rectangular/geometric design which is significantly bigger from a LF perspective (115LF) but almost identical from a sqft perspective. Our large sun shelf (9x12) is a big driver of the extra LF. Throughout the design process the tweaks we made to expand LF have cost us about $225 per LF.

Should I expect to pay the $225 per LF for the extra 15 feet or should I argue it is the same sqft? It seems sqft would more accurately drive builder costs (dig, gunite, diamond Brite). Also, should the LF associated with the shelf cost the same as LF of pool perimeter? There doesn't seem to be nearly as much builder cost for 6-9" of gunite.

Assuming the same depth, what is the more relevant cost driver, linear feet perimeter or square footage of pool surface?

Our current design is a 100LF/600sqft free form. We are looking at alternative designs, including a rectangular/geometric design which is significantly bigger from a LF perspective (115LF) but almost identical from a sqft perspective. Our large sun shelf (9x12) is a big driver of the extra LF. Throughout the design process the tweaks we made to expand LF have cost us about $225 per LF.

Should I expect to pay the $225 per LF for the extra 15 feet or should I argue it is the same sqft? It seems sqft would more accurately drive builder costs (dig, gunite, diamond Brite). Also, should the LF associated with the shelf cost the same as LF of pool perimeter? There doesn't seem to be nearly as much builder cost for 6-9" of gunite.
I'm working with several builders and it seems the perimeter feet is what drives their cost more than square footage. This makes sense to me as the amount of re-bar, gunite, coping, etc scale relative to perimeter feet. I was also told that gunite companies have a surcharge/additional charge for sun shelfs/tanning ledges. I would expect that you will pay more if you increase the perimeter feet even if the sq footage is the same.

It is the same amount of gunite and plaster whether it is a foot deep or 4 feet deep. The vertical wall is just on the other side of the shelf instead of under the coping. And the floor of the pool is the same amount of space as the floor of the sun shelf. All PB's charge by linear foot, not square foot. It is best to optimize the layout. Although, I don't see how you could add a lot of linear feet without also adding square feet unless it is a lazy river or something.

Thanks. What you are both saying makes a lot of sense. Not sure why I wasn't thinking about it that way. I think the quoted square footage had me thrown off as well. I'm wondering if my PB had the sun shelf included in the sqft from the original design but not the new geometric design. I'll see what they say.

Our builder charged by surface area only. However then in return we could get all the extras we wanted at no extra cost, swimouts, sitting benches, sun shelfs. I am sure we paid higher than average per square foot but it was nice to get as many extras as we wanted.

Based on my limited experience, the PBs I talked with seem to use linear feet or square feet as a shortcut for pricing. The shotcrete company we used simply charged by the cubic yard, and it didn't matter whether the shotcrete was being applied to walls, benches, floor, or raised wall for water features. In my area (Tucson, Arizona) pool builders really compete on price at the low end and probably make very little profit on a basic pool, and instead make money by upcharges for any extra benches, tanning ledges, etc., even though there isn't really much added cost to the PB to add the extras.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.