Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: mom's pool has algea?

1. Back To Top    #1

mom's pool has algea?

background:

24Kgal pool. 16'x38' vinyl, steel wall. trichlor puck float for chlorination. using my tf-100 test kit.

FC: 10
    CC: 0
    CYA: 60
    TA: 60
    PH: 6.8

problem:

there are some yellowish/green looking deposits that using her older pool brush i can't scrub off and i'm strong. the water is otherwise clear. i'm colorblind, so i may be off on the color.

also, it may not be visible, but the walls have a green tint to them that the floor does not. (the vinyl is blue, so the walls should look blue). again, i'm colorblind.

here are some pics:

moms yellow deposits - Album on Imgur
    22kgal kidney pool, concrete walls, vinyl liner
    jandy vsfhp165aut with iaqualink controller. jandy cs250 filter. jandy truclear swg. jandy ee2500 heatpump
    all versaplumb fittings throughout equipment 7 ton waterfall driven off pump
    polaris 380, powered by main pump. taylor tf100 test equipment

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: mom's pool has algea?

CYA is a little low for a swg. PH is also a little low. Maybe some borax now, then the rest later..... and it's SLAM time!
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you read pool school, I think you need to raise the pH to 7.2 and slam your pool, read it in pool school, ask questions... Good luck
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You should make raising your pH a priority.

Visible algae calls for a SLAM

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Remove all trichlor you have in your pool, Test for pH before raise your FC to slam level and maintain the FC level until you pass slam, did I said read pool school? 😊
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Once your water is better balanced, those stains may start to be diminished at least.

Have you tried a stiff deck brush on them? They look organic so chlorine is the answer.

Has this pool been neglected a long time in the past?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

no, they actively use it. my mom is old and she does her best. her biggest problem is trichlor, like we all know, because everything's great until it blows up.

i'm glad you guys were able to confirm it looks organic, that's what i figured.

i will initiate the SLAM and report back.

regarding the deck brush: is it safe to use on the vinyl. the walls appear to have that color too? if not, what's the safest vinyl brush i can buy?
    jandy vsfhp165aut with iaqualink controller. jandy cs250 filter. jandy truclear swg. jandy ee2500 heatpump

8. Back To Top    #8

This brush get great reviews always, but I have not personal experience yet

TFTestkits.net

The corner stone of TFP

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I was thinking more of a hand held wooden brush about 3" by 8"....natural bristles about maybe 3/4 or 1 ".

You can scrub pretty hard with that and it will be safe with the vinyl liner. It won't stay on the brush well but I would try a little "comet" to see if that helps.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

thanks for the advice.

my mom will go to the store tomorrow to get a deck brush and some comet.

work log:
    raised FC level to 34
    raised TA to 78
    raised pH to 7.2

11. Back To Top    #11

Just a reminder, make sure to get your PH to 7.1 completed first, then you can proceed with the SLAM. You will be unable to determine your PH during the SLAM.
    '91 Chicago-land Vinyl In-ground Pool: 41x16. 6' deep end / about 20,000 gallons. Hayward Perflex DE filter. Polaris Watermark G1000 Chlorinator (used by previous owner, not me). Hayward H200 Heater. Aux Pump for pressure side robot. (2) skimmers opposite of each other mid-pool, (1) bottom drain, (2) returns on opposite ends of pool lengthwise.

12. Back To Top    #12

some updates for anyone who cares.

my mom says the visible algea went away after 1 day of mustard algea shock level maintenance. but every 3 hours, the pool is still losing 12-15ppm in sunlight and roughly the same overnight. so i've continued to shock it. beginning to think i might have to pull the stairs and the face plates on skimmers (if they're removable) as i suspect there's a hidden source of algea somewhere and its film is preventing chlorine from killing it.