Any Sanitizer to Use While Power Out in Hurricane?

poodlegirl

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Does anyone know if there is any type of sanitizer you can use while the power is out for days during a hurricane? My pool pump will turn off of course with no power. Just thought there might be something to do to keep it from turning green. Thanks!

If you know you will be on the wet side of a storm with a ton of rain, hook up a manual vacuum head to the skimmer and leave it on the bottom of the pool, even if you have a functioning main drain. Drop the water level in the pool 3 or 4 inches. The vacuum head at the bottom of the pool should keep the pump from losing prime as the water level drops. Bring the FC to slam level. Stock up on bleach, enough to maintain a slam for 2 weeks and store it out of the weather. Cover the pool if you have the type that is anchored in concrete. If you normally use water bags to hold a winter cover in place it probably won't hold up in the storm. After the storm uncover the pool and test your water. If the water is clear and test results are good then you can maintain as normal. If the power is out brush the pool to mix in the chlorine. While power is out test daily, add chlorine to maintain regular FC levels, and brush.

If you don't have a winter cover don't run out and buy one, just know that you will have a lot of debris in the pool. You may want to invest in an extra pool pole and leaf rake to help with clean up. If your pool turns black after the storm you will be able to slam it back to health once you clear all the debris out of the pool. Mine turned black during Ike. It was beautiful when we left and 3 days later it was black and full of debris. Slamming took about a week after all the debris was removed.

As a 30+ year resident of Florida I quickly found that the best thing you can buy for your house is a back up generator.

Here is the one I have now: Amazon.com : Generac 5735, 17500 Running Watts/26250 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator : Patio, Lawn Garden

Yes, I did get it from Amazon. Even the big box stores in my area did not stock a generator this large and Amazon had it to me in a few days.

While I would love a whole house generator, none of our houses have ever had a large enough fuel supply. You really need a natural gas connection or a very large LP tank, and I have had neither of these.

Even a much smaller generator can be used with a little planning of which circuits you need to run. While you may not have the power to run everything, you can cycle through things, like 30 minutes for the pool pump, an hour for the refrigerator and so forth. We even have a small single room A/C unit that can be set up for the master bedroom so we can at least sleep in comfort.

Having been a resident of south Florida when hurricane Andrew devastated lower Dade county I understand that in an emergency, if your house is not destroyed you may need to be self sufficient for a week or more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.