Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1hp AGP Hayward won't pump over 14psi

1. Back To Top    #1

1hp AGP Hayward won't pump over 14psi

Hey guys, recently purchased a 10 year old pool setup and after cleaning sand filter pressure is about 10 PSI, however when it builds to 14 PSI it loses almost all flow (I've been experimenting with DE in the sand filter). Just wondering what that pump should be able to produce in terms of pressure. Haven't checked impeller for damage. No leaks or air in strainer. See below for specs.

thanks,
    Nathan
    27' round x 52" AGP 1hp Hayward Ultra-Pro LX , 21" Hayward 2.2 sq ft sand filter, offline chlorine feeder, Hayward 80kw heat pump plumbed with appx 50' of 1 1/2" spa-flex. 30C/86f set temp. New Brunswick, Canada.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1hp AGP Hayward won't pump over 14psi

Welcome to TFP!

More pressure on the filter gauge is a sign of less flow through the filter, not more. There will be more flow at lower pressure. We normally recommend backwashing the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure. DE will make it filter better, clog faster and cause pressure to rise.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

As mentioned, a 25% rise in pressure is the signal to clean the filter.

Adding DE is going to increase pressure as well. How much are you adding?

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, but shouldn't that pump be able to produce more than 14 psi? Or am I understanding it wrong?

Initially I put in 4 cups of de to see a 1psi raise, then I did 2 cups, now 0 cups and it flows good, probably try 1 cup next. Still why no flow at 14psi?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by nbarnard View Post
    Thanks, but shouldn't that pump be able to produce more than 14 psi? Or am I understanding it wrong?

Initially I put in 4 cups of de to see a 1psi raise, then I did 2 cups, now 0 cups and it flows good, probably try 1 cup next. Still why no flow at 14psi?
    Think of it more like a 'backpressure' gauge. As you add restrictions in flow (dirty filter, solar panels, smaller return jets, etc) pressure will begin to build, the gauge shows that pressure. This is why everyone's clean pressure is different as we all have different setups.

The reason that adding DE to your sand filter raises filter pressure is because you are decreasing the size of the openings in the filter media (also catching smaller particles).
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pressure can only come from a restriction to flow. The more restriction, the higher the pressure, up to the pumps limit of course.

The pressure gauge is on the "dirty" side of the filter and raises because the flow through the sand and/or DE and/or cartridge gets blocked by dirt etc.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Have your family hold their hands over the returns tightly. I think you'll see psi go up.....if not you may need a new gauge.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP nbarnard
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks guys! I understand the cause of higher PSI. My question pertained to the max psi attainable for my pump. I did plug the eyeball and psi went up momentarily to 16psi, but then down to 14 when blocked, and 10psi when released (clean filter). Should I consider getting a new guage or does this sound typical for a 10yr old single speed 1hp agp pump?