Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater is Acting Up - Your Thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater is Acting Up - Your Thoughts?

We have the StaRite 400k BTU heater and for 2 years it's been pretty reliable. Pentair came out 1 time to service it.
    I turned on the spa tonight and a couple things are going on that I'd like some input on.
    There is a stronger than normal gas odor that is intermittent. The beginning water temp was about 85 and the heater was set to 100. During the course of it heating the water for the spa (got it up to 95) we kept smelling the gas odor. I looked at it closer and I noticed the heater was cycling off and on and it was during those transitions (when it was turning back on) that I smelled the gas odor. Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Is ANY gas odor, no matte how faint, while the heater is running ok?
    Do you know what could be causing the intermittent cycling of off and on?

Thank you.
    23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater is Acting Up - Your Thoughts?

Is the heater displaying any errors when it cycles?

How long has it been since you last used the heater and it was working ok?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

When it is cycling ON the Heater light flashes and when it is OFF the Service Heater light is illuminated.

Pentair guy did some warranty work a few months back and it was working fine after that.

23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you know what the repair guy did?

Have you checked the gas venturi tubes for any blockage?

Check out page 37:
    http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/MaxEThermEngOM.pdf
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater