U/V Chlorinator thoughts

Jul 17, 2016
Cumming, GA
I'm narrowing down my choices on builders and found one I really like but they're suggesting a Paramount U/V system over a standard SWG. They're a Jandy dealer and suggest all 'pro' equipment except for this unit.

Ive done some research and the general consensus I've found is 'meh.' What are the in's/out's of this system, is it better than just a standard SWG?

If I go with this builder, this will be a Shotcrete/Pebbletec pool. Is there some advantage in real-world, residentional use with a u/w system or is this overpriced hype?

Concensus is that it is useless in a residential pool. Either he is misinformed or has bought into the UV hype. Chlorine is the way to go. Either a SWG or liquid chlorine dosing.

A UV system offers zero value to a residential outdoor pool. I wouldn't install one for my pool for free. Chlorine/swg does everything you need it to do. I prefer Pentair or Hayward equipment to Jandy. But, I am not that familiar with Jandy.

This topic comes up about 3 times per week, the answer is always the same, UV may have a place in therapy pools, some indoor pools, and high bather load commercial pools, but is not needed for typical outdoor residential pools. The claim about reducing chlorine use is a half truth based upon pools with algae in them, if you have a properly balanced pool with light organic loads and no algae growing in them then these UV systems can actually increase chlorine use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.