Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: U/V Chlorinator thoughts

1. Back To Top    #1

U/V Chlorinator thoughts

I'm narrowing down my choices on builders and found one I really like but they're suggesting a Paramount U/V system over a standard SWG. They're a Jandy dealer and suggest all 'pro' equipment except for this unit.

Ive done some research and the general consensus I've found is 'meh.' What are the in's/out's of this system, is it better than just a standard SWG?

If I go with this builder, this will be a Shotcrete/Pebbletec pool. Is there some advantage in real-world, residentional use with a u/w system or is this overpriced hype?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: U/V Chlorinator thoughts

Concensus is that it is useless in a residential pool. Either he is misinformed or has bought into the UV hype. Chlorine is the way to go. Either a SWG or liquid chlorine dosing.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

A UV system offers zero value to a residential outdoor pool. I wouldn't install one for my pool for free. Chlorine/swg does everything you need it to do. I prefer Pentair or Hayward equipment to Jandy. But, I am not that familiar with Jandy.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 to what pooldv and tim5055 said.
    My grandkids take their lessons in an indoor commercial UV pool, I suspect the reason they are using UV is to cut heating costs on the makeup heater they would need to run if they had a chlorine pool.
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

ATLDiver- here in Georgia we get all the UV we ever need for *free* compliments of the sun. Since you still need to maintain chlorine in a UV pool, why bother with the device in the first place?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

This topic comes up about 3 times per week, the answer is always the same, UV may have a place in therapy pools, some indoor pools, and high bather load commercial pools, but is not needed for typical outdoor residential pools. The claim about reducing chlorine use is a half truth based upon pools with algae in them, if you have a properly balanced pool with light organic loads and no algae growing in them then these UV systems can actually increase chlorine use.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree with the above sentiments and once had something to say about the topic of UV - Can I leave pucks in my in-line chlorinator when it's off?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

All, thanks for the information. This is pretty much what I figured from my research.

let me follow up, I'm assuming I want to stick with a standard SWG Chlorinator at this point.