LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I am replacing my 120V pool light with a 12V bulb and a transformer (for a number of reasons, including safety). I'm using an Intermatic PX100 (listed pool light transformer). My question is whether the transformer must be hardwired (via a switch) to the 120V supply, or if I can put a proper 3-prong cord on the transformer and plug into a GFCI outlet?

The advantage of making it a plug is that I can use a cheap outdoor remote control, WiOn, or timer to control the light from the other side of the pool; I already have a fountain and landscape lights (on a separate transformer) plugged in like that. But if code frowns on a cord connection like that I will hard-wire it and look for a switch-replacement remote.

I can see concern that even with a GFCI outlet right there someone might plug it into an extension cord fed from an ungrounded or non-GFCI outlet somewhere else. Perhaps less of a concern with a 12V light, but I can't find any good code reference info either way?

You have to look to the manufacturers installation instructions. The code requires listed devices be installed per the instructions, so if they include a cord/plug option (doubtful) then yes you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.