Can't get the cloudy out of my water

Aug 12, 2015
Valparaiso, IN
I am at my wits end. Went away and came back to a green mess. Followed the SLAM process and now I am at a stand still. I have gone through 4 gallons of bleach. The green is gone, however the water remains cloudy. I have let the pool filter run for days on end and I have vacuumed with no luck.

FC - 8
CC - .5
pH - 7.5
TA - 200
CH - 75
CYA - 40

Any ideas on what to do next would be most appreciated. Thank you.20160823_070216.jpg

Ukie, welcome to TFP :)

The problem you are having is that you're not done SLAMing the water. For your CYA of 40 your SLAM level is 16. You should be keeping that water's FC at 16 until the SLAM is complete. The three guidelines to complete a SLAM are: Water is CLEAR, CC of 0.5ppm or less and OCLT of 1ppm or less.

If all you did was add 4 gallons of bleach yet then quit, the algae still persists and is reproducing hance the cloudy water. Have you read the SLAM instructions fully?
SLAM Process

I have read the SLAM instructions, however I will admit that I am uncertain of a few things. I am a first time pool owner and learning as I go, so thank you for your responses and patience. Due to my work schedule I am not able to do frequent checks, usually get about 2 rounds a day (check levels and add what is called for). I was able to keep FC at 16 for a couple of days and noticed no change, that is why I am here. I stopped until I knew what exactly I need to do.

At your stage you do need a little patience to wait for things to clear. My advice would be to:
Get your FC back up to slam levels. If you can only check a couple of times a day maybe go 2-3ppm over your slam level to allow for the drop inbetween testing
Then I would deep clean your sand filter and add de. The DE will really clean things up, but you have to be around to monitor it.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.