Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH rising too fast

1. Back To Top    #1
    Los Angeles

pH rising too fast

My pool is just over a year old and has always had a high acid demand, adding acid every other day would keep my pH balanced. I recently installed a SWG (IC40) and now I have to add acid everyday. I bring the pH level down to 7.2 and 36 hours later my pH will be 8.0+ (off the scale). Here are my readings, is there anything I can do to slow down the pH rising so fast?

FC: 6.0
    CC: 0.0
    pH: 7.4
    TA: 60
    CH: 700-800 (I have really hard water in my area)
    CYA: 50
    SALT: 3800
    30 x 20 IG Play Pool + 7' Spa ~16K Gallons, French Gray Plaster, Pentair Intelliflow VS, Pentair CCP420, Pentair MasterTemp 400K Heater, Intellibrite LEDs.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: pH rising too fast

A few things to try.
    Let your TA drop to 50 and see how that does.
    Don't run, or run less, any waterfalls or bubblers.
    Add borates, Borates - Why and How
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Orange County, CA

Re: pH rising too fast

I have a SWG and tons of aeration. I would also have to add acid every couple of days and it was a hassle. I installed an IntellipH and best decision ever! Now my pH is rock solid at 7.7 and IntellipH doses every hour when SWG is on. IntellipH is only a duty cycle system but that's all you need for pH control. I don't see automation in your signature, so IntellipH will also give you the ability to control your SWG in 1% increments vs 20%. Pretty easy to self install (if I can do it, anyone can do it), and plug and play with intellichlor. Here's a link to my thread when I was looking to install an IntellipH:

Pentair IntellipH?

good luck!
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir