Bad timer motor or user error?

We've been having issues with our pump timer not working. We finally narrowed it down and believe it was the timer motor. So I ordered the replacement timer motor and switched it out yesterday. But after turning the power back on at the breaker, the pump won't turn on now. I took pictures before I started disconnecting any wires and then again when I was finished installing the new one. So I'm at a loss as to what the issue might be. I don't want to go too long without the pump running or the chemistry will get all wonky. At first I thought it might mean I got a bad motor timer. But the more I think about it, wouldn't the pump still be able to run if I manually turned it on? I would think that if it was a bad timer motor it just wouldn't start/stop on its own. So does that mean it had to be user error?

Rox,

Logic says that if it worked before you screwed with it, the most likely cause is something that you did..

How about posting a pic of your timer set-up , showing all the wiring?

If you have a volt meter, you can turn the timer on manually and check the wires going to the pump for voltage.

Jim R.

John--it is the WG1573-5. Is that good or bad? ��

Jim--I'll post a pic of the wiring set up from before I messed with it and also after. I've compared several times and can't seem to find a difference, but maybe I'm just missing something. This is the before....image.jpg

John--it is the WG1573-5. Is that good or bad? ��

Jim--I'll post a pic of the wiring set up from before I messed with it and also after. I've compared several times and can't seem to find a difference, but maybe I'm just missing something. This is the before....View attachment 53861

Is this the Before or After pic?? I see no obvious errors. I assume power is coming in at the back of the box on white and black wires. It is a little hard to tell. Out the bottom to the pump and out the side to your freeze protector. I also assume 220 volt motor.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the delay in responding. The weekend got busy and time got away from me. Anyway, it wasn't a problem with the breaker. And doesn't seem to be a problem with the timer box, either. We checked all the wires with the volt meter, and they all had power where they should have, etc. So now it's looking like it may be the pump. I'm still confused as to why it would've randomly happened when I just happened to be changing out the timer motor. But otherwise I can't seem to find where the issue would be. We just got a new pump last year (in January), so I called the place that installed it because I thought I had read that most pumps come with a 3 year warranty if installed by a professional. But when I called them this morning they said it's only 1 year. So if it is, in fact, the pump then I guess I'm screwed out of the $400 I paid a year and a half ago. ��

Just as a follow up--we had someone come out to look at it and it turned out to be a bad breaker. We've had some storms recently and it could've been a surge, but it just wasn't getting the full power load to the pump. So as soon as that breaker was replaced the pump started purring again. I'll take a breaker over replacing a pump any day! Thanks so much for all the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.