Did someone say CLOUDY?

Aug 27, 2016
Fowlerville
I have turned to this site many times this summer but this is my first post.

Background:
24' round Above Ground (~13,500gal)
Vinyl liner
Sand Filter (Doughboy Aquaview AS model 0-1709-020) only 2 years old
Pool is full sun only 3 hours of the day

Had an algae breakout a few months ago and still haven't recovered. The cloudiness won't completely go away. Last time, I put in 4 cases of liquid chlorine from the pool store and overnight it went from green to blue...yay! But then it was cloudy and I ran the filter 24/7 but it didn't help. I have used floc, phosphate treatment, and clarifier along the way (not all at once lol). Just recently had another tinge of green starting so I put in 2 cases of liquid chlorine 2 days ago. We are blue again but cloudy. We have a party on the 3rd that I want the pool sparkling for. I have a tf-100 test kit in my possession but honestly, it intimidates me. I usually just take a sample to the pool store which has a pretty fancy testing machine. They test for FC, TC, CC, pH, Hardness, Alkalinity (w/stabilizer correction), CA, Copper and Iron.
I just did my own CA test and came back with a reading of 60ish. I tried doing FAS/DPD but it turned deep pink and I stopped at 15 drops because it wasn't changing and I didn't want to waste all the reagent. I know the chlorine is off the charts. Also attempted the Alk test but it went from green to blue (the video showed it turning pink).
As you can tell, I need some guidance.

Welcome Danicole....you have the best defense for taking care of your pool with the test kit. Always trust your own testing rather than pool stores testing which or notoriously wrong.

Dumping loads of liquid chlorine in your pool at one time (as well as other pool store magic potions) is not what we practice here. You need to follow the SLAM process.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Post a set of YOUR test results and we can help

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Tell us the kit you are using (order more reagent TODAY),

test and post the results

be willing to completely stay out of the pool store

We'll help you get the pool clear once we see your results

Keep your chlorine at 28 ppm by testing (it's all you need to test now) and adding more chlorine back to 28 until your pool is crystal clear. Brush, vacuum and watch the psi on your filter and run the pump 24/7. Ask questions.

Keep your chlorine at 28 ppm by testing (it's all you need to test now) and adding more chlorine back to 28 until your pool is crystal clear. Brush, vacuum and watch the psi on your filter and run the pump 24/7. Ask questions.

Thanks. Since my FC is at 36, do I just wait for it to drop and just maintain it at 28ppm? How long is this process and do I have a chance for it to be clear in 6 days for the party? It appears that all the algae is suspended and there isn't much on the floor/walls but should I vacuum anyways? Vacuum to waste or is it ok to run through the filter? I have to replace the pressure gauge because it's shot (I bought a new one but haven't put it on yet) but I backwashed yesterday (3x in a row to break up the sand).

I get the feeling you are reading what folks are saying and then modifying it slightly to do what you think is right.

You need to follow these instructions exactly, all the as to the end - SLAM Process

If the sand in your filter is having issues you need to follow these instructions. A messed up filter can allow stuff to bypass the sand and keep the pool cloudy. You may want to deep clean the filter. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

While you have the filter apart, replace that gauge. We recomend that filters be backwashed when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure, not by amount of time.

I get the feeling you are reading what folks are saying and then modifying it slightly to do what you think is right.

You need to follow these instructions exactly, all the as to the end - SLAM Process

If the sand in your filter is having issues you need to follow these instructions. A messed up filter can allow stuff to bypass the sand and keep the pool cloudy. You may want to deep clean the filter. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

While you have the filter apart, replace that gauge. We recomend that filters be backwashed when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure, not by amount of time.

Hi, thanks for the response. I haven't done anything but the testing since I posted so I haven't modified any advice I received. I can't undo the fact that I dumped all the chlorine in my pool per the recommendation of the pool store but I have turned to you guys for guidance at this point as I really don't know at what point I am in the SLAM process since my FC level is so high. I am not sure if the sand needs a deep cleaning but I plan on taking a look when I get home this evening. I will also replace the gauge & post a photo of the water. I also forgot to report the pH the last time I did the panel. It was 7.8, which I see is a little high for the SLAM recommendations. I appreciate the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi
I just wanted to post a few quick tips

We know you have a party coming up. Will you be TFP sparkly clear by then, maybe, clearer than now definitely. Will the pool be safe to swim in, absolutely

I second the deep clean of the sand filter, it doesn't take long and at least you know then your filter is working at its best

When I backwash mine I backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse then goto filter, but only when I get to 20%+ over starting pressure, backwashing too early is counterproductive. Surprising what I get out on a second backwash

When you are getting close to clear adding a little DE to the filter really cleans things up quick. BUT you have to be around to monitor the filter when learning how to do it and you need a working gauge http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

The more often you test and dose the pool the faster the slam will go

Vacuum to filter is fine, it is designed to filter out the algae

Brush at least daily, it helps expose the algae to the chlorine. Make sure to check skimmers, light, ladders, any other nooks and crannies where algae may hide out and give those a scrub too

HTH and hope your slam is going well

Hi
I just wanted to post a few quick tips

We know you have a party coming up. Will you be TFP sparkly clear by then, maybe, clearer than now definitely. Will the pool be safe to swim in, absolutely

I second the deep clean of the sand filter, it doesn't take long and at least you know then your filter is working at its best

When I backwash mine I backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse then goto filter, but only when I get to 20%+ over starting pressure, backwashing too early is counterproductive. Surprising what I get out on a second backwash

When you are getting close to clear adding a little DE to the filter really cleans things up quick. BUT you have to be around to monitor the filter when learning how to do it and you need a working gauge http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

The more often you test and dose the pool the faster the slam will go

Vacuum to filter is fine, it is designed to filter out the algae

Brush at least daily, it helps expose the algae to the chlorine. Make sure to check skimmers, light, ladders, any other nooks and crannies where algae may hide out and give those a scrub too

HTH and hope your slam is going well

Thanks- it does help a lot! I tested the FC/CC this morning and the FC is at 27.5 and the CC is .5 (might even be less than that since one drop is all it took). I replaced the gauge 2 nights ago and also opened the lid of the filter to check the sand. It didn't look gunky so I just broke up the sand with my hand,ran the hose through it and the water inside got murky. Once everything was reassembled, I backwashed the filter. I have noticed an improvement in the movement of the water already.
What do you think about adding a sock filter to the skimmer basket to help catch the finer stuff?
I have attached a photo from the other day but it looks about the same now.

Attachments

• 20160830_071737_resized.jpg
    20160830_071737_resized.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 36
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.