Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automation not shutting off pump - bad relay?

1. Back To Top    #1

Automation not shutting off pump - bad relay?

Hi All -

Last night when I was going to bed I heard the pool pump was still running. I went to the panel and it was showing off. I could change the mode to whatever I wanted but in the off position it would not turn off. I power cycled it from the breaker box but it would still not turn off. I ended up turning everything off at the breaker box to look at it this morning. I get up this morning and turn it back on and it was no longer running. I switch it to pool mode ran it for a few minutes and turned it off but again it did not shut off. Reset at the breaker box and it turned off again. Do you think this could be caused by a bad relay switch? Is there a way I can tell if it is bad? I have a Polaris EOS automation E3 which has been long discontinued. Thanks
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Automation not shutting off pump - bad relay?

You could hook up a volt meter to the relay and see if the system is sending the signal to the relay when it's suppose to shut off. If you don't see it, then I would say the controller is bad.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Automation not shutting off pump - bad relay?

I think it is a bad relay. I turned the pool on then back off while the front panel was off. The light went off on the mother board but the pool remained on. I tapped the relay with the end of a screw driver and the pool shut off like normal. At least this should be an easy cheap fix.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.