Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Desperately Seeking Help Understanding Taylors Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Desperately Seeking Help Understanding Taylors Test Kit

It has been years since chemistry class and I can't remember if I took chemistry.

I've had the pool for about 6 to 8 weeks and due to my mom going into Assisted Living we haven't enjoyed the pool as we planned. And unfortunately I was testing my pool using the strip tests. Now I've noticed algae or what I think is algae and this is my second night of brushing, vacuuming and shocking the pool. It's looking good but now I really need to figure out how to test the water. Can anyone suggest a great youtube video that would be helpful? I have to see someone doing the test to actually understand it. Or if someone can explain it to me like a three year old. LOL

Also, from there how do I find out how much chemicals do I add to my pool as I'm using the BBB method? Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to any info you can provide.

I sound so needy but I actually am. Thanks!!
    24x52 round AGP 14750 gallons 19" Hayward sand filter w/1 hp pump Polaris 65 vacuum sweep (Hasn't worked since purchased) Transitioning from Strip test to Leslie's FAS-DPD 81329

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Desperately Seeking Help Understanding Taylors Test Kit

Yes, here are more detailed written instructions and there are videos here, TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

After you watch the videos Pooldv mentioned, take a look at this for how to know what chemicals to add when: Pool School - PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here It's great to hear that you plan to take control of your pool by learning, testing and determining your own needs.

This article is very helpful: TFPC for Beginners

I hope everything went oK with your mom. That's a challenging time in our lives.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Pooldv, MarianParoo and needsajet!!! I have been searching the internet, reading everything I can and watching all the videos I find. I am definitely going to check out the links you provided as it is so confusing.

And we had purchased our pool and arranged for installment days before my mom went into the hospital. My head is spinning from everything going on but getting mom in Assisted Living has been a transition. I've hoping to get my pool chemistry corrected and get in the pool a few times before we have to close it.

Thanks again!!
    24x52 round AGP 14750 gallons 19" Hayward sand filter w/1 hp pump Polaris 65 vacuum sweep (Hasn't worked since purchased) Transitioning from Strip test to Leslie's FAS-DPD 81329

6. Back To Top    #6

It is pretty easy to do the tests, with the possible exception of the CYA test. If you can make instant coffee and count to 20 then you should have no problems doing the tests.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels