Pentair Intelliflo VS - Frozen screen and no Comm? is the drive unit dead?

yetis

Apr 19, 2015
Sag Harbor, NY
Hi,

So no good deed goes unpunished! You let someone use your house for a week while on vacation and you come back to everything not working. The major issue is the pool hasn't been running for days!. I have an Intelliflo VS connected to an Easy Touch PL4. I have never had an issue with it. I am mostly concerned about getting the pump running to get the pool back in line.
So what I notice is that the PL4 is saying there are no comms. However, when I reset the PL4, it turns off the pump, so there are clearly some comms. To isolate the issue, I have disconnected the comm connection and have turned off the pump. When I turn it back on, to just use the pump controls, I get a screen that its running a program with 0 RPM. I press any and all buttons and nothing happens. Is this a dead circuit board on the drive? Has anyone seen the drive fail before? Is there a way to reset the drive unit?

On a seperate but likley related item. I have the screen logic 2 setup. I notice that in the notice/error message section, when the timer shuts off the pump, I get a low voltage message? Was the pump installed incorrectly, that I get this error message?

Thank you

It does sound that the Intelliflo VS was incorrectly wired. The smart pump should be independently connected to a power source (breaker) while the comm wire supplies programming info and controls the pump while the automation is in effect. The smart pump, in theory by proper installations, should still retain operability by itself without the need of the automation being on.

The symptoms your describing sounds like the smart pump is connected to a relay switch inside the automation panel with one wire and the other wire connected directly to the breaker. So in essence if the filter button is not on, the pump will not receive any or half the power it needs to be on. Both circumstances you're experiencing should be remedied once the pump's 240v wirings is rewired directly to the double pole 20 amps breakers.

On the other hand, you said uve not had issues before. So maybe one of the hot wires has had a short while you were gone and that needs to be addressed.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

The pump power is not hardwired into the PL4. It has its own 3 prong 220v plug. The plug is on its own breaker. The comms are just connected (Green and Yellow) to the comm port in the PL4. Maybe it is how I set it up.
In the interim, any insight into why the pump buttons are 100% non-responsive?

Thank you

According to the Intelliflo manual. When the unit is under "comm control", it should say "Dispaly not active". However, I am able to turn the pump on and off via the PL4 and yet the display still wont change from the state described above. Any thoughts on how to hard reset a Intelliflo VS pump?

Thank you

What mode is your system in currently? To be able to control the pump directly, the system needs ri be in service mode and filter button pressed. There s really no way to reset the unit if the onboard buttons is not responsive

It does sound that the Intelliflo VS was incorrectly wired. The smart pump should be independently connected to a power source (breaker) while the comm wire supplies programming info and controls the pump while the automation is in effect. The smart pump, in theory by proper installations, should still retain operability by itself without the need of the automation being on.

The symptoms your describing sounds like the smart pump is connected to a relay switch inside the automation panel with one wire and the other wire connected directly to the breaker. So in essence if the filter button is not on, the pump will not receive any or half the power it needs to be on. Both circumstances you're experiencing should be remedied once the pump's 240v wirings is rewired directly to the double pole 20 amps breakers.

On the other hand, you said uve not had issues before. So maybe one of the hot wires has had a short while you were gone and that needs to be addressed.

Taking another look at your previous comment. Your correct that its wired with the relays. So its wired incorrectly, per your advice. However, why does Pentair put these relays in the PL4, if your not supposed to use them? I guess that will need to be fixed. This would answer part of the issue. Though not sure why it failed, after working for two years. It was installed by a authorized pool guy, who I ended up throwing out, due to other evience of incompetence. Now I see they left another gift, lurking...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The relay switches are there to operate all standard one or two speed pumps. With the advent of smart pumps, however these relays become moot at least for the filter pump. It is how the automation supplies power and controls the assorted devices your pool might have

All modern automation boards that I'm aware of are designed this way. It just so happens that they built the smart pumps to be able to communicate directly with the automation utilizing the j20 com port instead of the relays, taking full advantage of their variable speed options. The pump's drive unit is essentially a simple but complete computer system.

When I installed my Intelliflo VS 2 years ago I used an IntelliComm II to interface it with my ancient Jandy controller. I switch the 220V mains through the Jandy’s relays and use the IntelliComm to set my desired pre-programed speed. I checked with Pentair’s support and they said there is no requirement to keep the pump powered except for freeze protection. I have low-speed, high-speed and cleaner speed programmed into the pump’s panel and controlled by my Jandy panel from inside my house. Works great.

Yes per your automation, an Intellicomm is needed to adapt the intelliflo pump to your Jandy automation. In this case, relay switches are used in conjunction with the com wire in order to operate the pump at 4 available preset speeds. It is a workaround to make both brands compatible. I would upgrade the automation to an easytouch or a PL4 to take full advantage of the intelliflo through remote

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.