Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing pool in Macon, GA

1. Back To Top    #1

Macon, GA

Question Closing pool in Macon, GA

My 7 year old pool, sadly to say, has received only the attention required to keep it usable. That considered, it is in pretty good shape. For the last few years, it has not actually been closed and covered. This year, I plan to cover it, mostly because of the many leaves that fall into it. I need to know what to do to it prior to covering. Freezing is not a normal condition here, so I do not need to "winterize". Any suggestions?
    Rexd, 24' X 48" vinyl round pool installed 2007, new liner installed 2012, Doheny 1.5 HP single speed pump installed 2015, Aqua Trol SWG installed 2010, Hayward 200 lb sand filter installed 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Closing pool in Macon, GA

I never close mine so I'll leave specific instruction to others. But, what I will say is don't be too quick to close early. Close late after the water is cold, lower than 60 degrees if possible
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Long Island NY

I would just put the cover on it, cut the pump down too an hour a day and just keep FC at recommend level. Your chlorine demand will drop quite a bit with the cover on. In the fall I run my pump a month before I blow the lines and that's all with the cover on. Also in the spring I hook up the pump and run it a month before I remove the cover.

Your situation is pretty simple and easy to do because you don't need to blow lines and pull the pump.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

I picked up a screen tarp at Harbor Freight. Put it over the pool while the leaves were falling. Took it off around October and just left the pool open and pump operating normally.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C