Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA

Hello! My first post.. We set up our pool in mid July. All has went pretty good. Very happy with the set up. So my only issue I am having so far is that I have over shot my CYA a bit. I tested tonight when I got home. CYA was 65 FC 8 and CC 0. So I would like to be more like 35 on my CYA and 5 on my FC. I dumped about 6 inches of was which should be around 1600 gallons. I refilled with fresh tap water (city water) that shows no CYA really at all. I just rechecked the levels and really didn't see a change. So my question is should I keep at it weekend dumping water. Or does it take time for the change to show up? Should I do a larger change tomorrow? TA is 100 and PH 7.2-7.4
    13500 gal, 24'x24'x54" AG, vinyl, Hayward 21" Sandfilter, Hayward 1.5HP Matrix Pump, Hayward in line Auto Chlorinaor (used with extream caution), July 2016 build, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Cold beer on tap and loud music!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA

To lower your CYA from 65 to 35 you will need to replace about 40% of your water. Having said that if you stay on top of things 65 ppm CYA is manageable and chances are you are near the end of the swim season. So you may want to try to live with it for now and adjust as needed in the spring, assuming you don't have a heated pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

That has crossed my mind. I am in Dallas Ga. Plan on keeping it open until water temp is in the 60s so most likely will be open for another 6-8 weeks. I have a Hayward feeder and was using Triclor pucks in it. Should I just back it down and stay with liquid chlorine as needed for the rest of the season? Thanks for the quick reply by the way!!
    13500 gal, 24'x24'x54" AG, vinyl, Hayward 21" Sandfilter, Hayward 1.5HP Matrix Pump, Hayward in line Auto Chlorinaor (used with extream caution), July 2016 build, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Cold beer on tap and loud music!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, your CYA is already too high, you need to avoid any stabilized chlorine products
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool! Will do. Thanks again! I will stick with liquid and ride out the rest of the season.

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't just shut-off the feeder. Take the pucks completely out. Some chlorinators will still get a little water flow.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's nice to know!

8. Back To Top    #8

CYA is stable now. Water feels awesome!! Today's tests

FC 8
    CC 0
    TA 110
    PH 7.8
    CYA 65

I'm sold on the methods on this forum!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome! To calculate your additions of chlorine, use a CYA of 70. The scale is logarithmic, not linear, as you can tell from the gradations on the vial. Halfway between 60 and 70 is not 65, but much closer to 70. If you are JUST over 60, you can use 65.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the info