Running out of FAS-DPD reagent

May 27, 2009
East TN
Speaking of the test kit. Does anyone know how long the R-0871 should last during all this conversion and testing every few hours? My bottle seems like its getting low and I've only had it a week. I went ahead and ordered a refill, just incase. Is that normal, I mean since we have been testing a few times a day especially during the beginning of the process?

Am I correct in thinking that once the conversion is complete and I'm in maintenance mode, we'll just be using the little blue Taylor kit for daily testing and then just use the FAS/DPD test for weekly testing or when we need adjustments?

It is fairly common to use up a bottle of R-0871 during a baquacil conversion.

Once everything settles down to normal, you will typically only do a FAS-DPD test once a week, and commonly on lower FC levels. There are some people who like to use FAS-DPD daily, but that isn't required.

Took me two years to go through a bottle of DPD titrant on a pool open year 'round! I do confess that I don't always test it weekly but I DO know my pool and it's been trouble free and stays pretty stable unless we get a lot of rain! Still on the same container of DPD powder btw! It's getting near the bottom but still not completely gone! I do use the OTO/pH tester before I enter the pool or spa each time, however, just to make sure things are within bounds.

I did a conversion from Baq last year and now have to get some new reagents. Chlorine and CYA test reagents go really fast!

Am I correct in thinking that once the conversion is complete and I'm in maintenance mode, we'll just be using the little blue Taylor kit for daily testing and then just use the FAS/DPD test for weekly testing or when we need adjustments?

This is exactly what I started doing after conversion. I do a daily pH & chlorine test -- if anything looked odd, I'd do a full test. I had to add CYA a week or so ago (after refilling pool due to partial Fall draining), then we've had rain, so I'll test that over the weekend when everything's clear again.

Good luck!

Sue

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.