Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Algee For First Time - HELP!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Got Algee For First Time - HELP!!!

Hii,

My pool is turning green for the first time, will someone please help me?

I just check the water:
    FC = 7
    CC = 0
    TC = 7
    CH = 850 (I live in Tucson, AZ where there is A LOT of calcium in the water)
    TA = 220
    CYA = Over 100, I estimate 170 to 190 (I am told that the Tucson water contributes to high CYA for everyone here)

Also, for the last 2 weeks, my Hayward cleaner has not been working right so I have been trying to keep up with clean the pool with the manual vacuum attachment. However, I just got new Hayward parts, include new A frame and Turnbine. I will repair it this evening.

So, what do I need to do next please?!?!? Thank you.
    1994, 20,000 Gal, IG Plaster, Pentair Triton II TR 60 Sand Filter, STA-RITE Max-E-PRO 1.65 HP Two Speed Pump
    Accessories: Attached Spa, Raypack 2100 Pool/Spa NG Heater & Helio-Matic Solar Heat System, Hayward Pool Vac XL Turbine Suction Cleaner
    Water Test Kit: TF-100 with Speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Got Algee For First Time - HELP!!!

Calcium level does not impact algae. Algae grows because there is not enough chlorine in the pool. Algae is killed with chlorine. Here is the process we use to kill algae, SLAM.

FC is set based on the CYA level and the FC/CYA Chart. It is impractical to maintain a pool with CYA that high. I would drain enough to get cya down to 80 or so.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Isipwater
    I dont know where you heard that Tuscon water contributes to high CYA. CYA (stabiliser) is not added to any municipal water anywhere in the world, perhaps the person who told you this was confused with CH??

The high CYA, is what has caused the problem. Basically you dont have enough chlorine for your CYA level. The only way to reduce CYA is through a drain and refill.

Are those results from your TF100 test kit or are you still awaiting its arrival?

Please goto poolmath http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html. At the bottom of the poolmath page you can figure out your pool size and update your signature. We/you need to know your pool volume to enter into pool math so it can calculate the amount of chemicals to put into your pool

Here is some info for you to read to start to understand the basics
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

If those results are from your tests I think this is what you will have to do:
    Drain most of your pool and refill to reduce cya to somewhere close to 40 or 50ppm
    Adjust your ph to 7.2 using muriatic acid
    Raise your FC using bleach to 16 or 20 depending on your CYA level after refill and keep the FC at that level until:

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
    • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    • And the water is clear.

This process will take a few days. The first couple of days you need to test FC and dose hourly (preferable) or at least a couple of times a day. The more you maintain that FC level the faster it will go
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you. Tomorrow I will begin the partial drain/fill and then start the SLAM. How much should I drain the pool? I have read that I should get it down to around 40 - is that right?
    1994, 20,000 Gal, IG Plaster, Pentair Triton II TR 60 Sand Filter, STA-RITE Max-E-PRO 1.65 HP Two Speed Pump
    Accessories: Attached Spa, Raypack 2100 Pool/Spa NG Heater & Helio-Matic Solar Heat System, Hayward Pool Vac XL Turbine Suction Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

No need to go any lower than 60 and 80 is manageable.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Caco,

Thank you. As for the Tucson water contributing to high CYA, several people (including pool professionals) have told me this, however, I don't know what the exact explanation is.

Yes, the results are from my TF100 about an hour ago and I have updated my signature, my pool is 20,000.

OK, so I will drain to get 40 - 50 CYA, fill, and then start the SLAM!

Thanks for your guidance.
    Last edited by isipwater; 08-26-2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: mistake

7. Back To Top    #7

There is no CYA in tap water. CYA only comes from dichlor, trichlor or stabilizer. More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I would go with Pooldv's recommendation of 60ppm CYA. He would be more aware of what would be good for your region than I would
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

As for the Tucson water contributing to high CYA, several people (including pool professionals) have told me this, however, I don't know what the exact explanation is.
    That is bizarre. There would be no reason for a municipality to spend money to add CYA to their water. Pool professionals? Bah!

10. Back To Top    #10

IKR Marian. It has to be an urban myth
    I did some research and there is natural occuring CYA, but only in guano deposit in Chile!! So nothing that would affect Tucson.

I am unsure if the drinking water standards in the US allow CYA to be used, but think it is very unlikely. AFAIK generally this is only done by very poor african or asian countries where they put tablets into wells

I found nothing about CYA on Tucson waters website, only reference to the fact they use chlorine boosters in some of their system. These 'boosters'are basically adding extra chlorine at locations that are distant from the treatment plant. They wouldnt need to do that if they had CYA in the water.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    There is no CYA in tap water. CYA only comes from dichlor, trichlor or stabilizer. More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Thank for helping me understand this.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for looking into this for me. I will go ahead and drain tomorrow and get to around 60 CYA.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by isipwater View Post

Thank you. As for the Tucson water contributing to high CYA, several people (including pool professionals) have told me this, however, I don't know what the exact explanation is.
    perhaps they're thinking that with evaporation the CYA gets higher? Evaporation only takes the water, it leaves behind the salt, calcium, cya, etc.

The only things that lower CH and CYA are water exchanges.
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

Ahh, perhaps that is it. We do have super evaporation here due to the heat and bone dry air.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have another question.

As of this morning the pool water looks a litter better. Last night it was a light green and this morning (the pump is set to run overnight) it looks more like teal blue. Should I still proceed with the partial drain and fill to reduce CYA and then SLAM? Or should I just SLAM and not worry about CYA since the water is not looking so bad.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would do the drain and refill as you will use/need a lot less chlorine with lower CYA.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

So, how much should I drain my 20,000 Gal pool please?

I can't get an accurate reading on the CYA with my TF100 since it is over 100. However, I suspect the CYA to be around 170 - 190 and I am trying to get it down to 80 or below.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I would do the drain and refill as you will use/need a lot less chlorine with lower CYA.

16. Back To Top    #16

Please help, looking for guidance on how much to drain my 20,000 pool before I slam and fill. Current cya is around 180.

17. Back To Top    #17

Currently draining pool, please help now, I am not sure how much to drain. I am newb and this is my first time doing this. Thanks

18. Back To Top    #18

Go to Poolmath (button is at the top of the page).

Enter your pool gallons and your current and target CYA. It will tell you how much to drain. We could do it for you, but this way you learn. You know it will be over 50%, right?

19. Back To Top    #19

You can do the diluted test to test above 100, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

About 60% seems good to me.
    TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Go to Poolmath (button is at the top of the page).

Enter your pool gallons and your current and target CYA. It will tell you how much to drain. We could do it for you, but this way you learn. You know it will be over 50%, right?

Thank you. I am new here and didn't realize that pool math does cya, thanks for the tip. It is telling me to replace 67% of water!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast