Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I really need to keep adding balance pack 100 to increase adj. TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Do I really need to keep adding balance pack 100 to increase adj. TA?

Hello,
    We are new pool owners this past year and it seems like every time we go to the pool store to have our water tested, they are telling us to add some chemical to the pool. Lately, it has been balance pak 100. The bags cost $25 each and it is starting to add up. This site says to keep your TA around 60-80. I just had the water checked and the TA is 93, and adjusted TA is 73 (the print out says ideal is 80-125). So, they instructed me to add 2 bags or 24 lbs of balance pak to increase it. Does this seem right? Also, I had a friend say she uses baking soda as a substitute which is cheaper. We have a SWG pool, 30,000 gallons. Any advice is apprecited!
    Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I really need to keep adding balance pack 100 to increase adj. TA?

Welcome to TFP.

Very few of us think TA should be kept as high as most pool stores recomend. Take a little time and read through Pool School to understand our system a little better. Skip the balance pak as it is really nothing more than baking soda in a fancy package.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 to not adjusting your TA.

Start here in Pool School
    ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    And here
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Raising the TA of an SWG pool is usually either a bad idea or a waste of time.

It you can post a full set of test results and include if you have a plaster pool we could give you more specific advice.

Welcome to TFP!
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

More here about test results and putting your pool info in your sig, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

That's exactly what the pool store has my SIL do. Then they sell her a bag of Low and Slow. Oy.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

Generally pool stores recommend keeping TA high because their customers use trichlor pucks to chlorinate. Trichlor is very acidic so keeping the TA high helps avoid pH problems. For a pool with an SWG you want the opposite, lower TA because the aeration caused by the electrolysis in the SWG will raise pH. So yes, their advice is very off (nobody here is shocked at that).

Yes, Balance Pak 100 is nothing but 100% baking soda and you can get it far less by buying normal baking soda. Of course, you don't even need it anyway, so there is a 100% savings just from visiting this site! I urge you to check out the links pooldv posted above, you will find that avoiding the pool stores in the future can help you save a lot more than that with better results...
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you! We are new pool owners, so we appreciate the advice. I will read those links now

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't see where anyone linked directly to this important link: Pool School - Test Kits Compared