Foamy hot tub?

Hi guys,

I let my hot tub get low on chlorine (on accident). It was at about .5. I just added some dichlor granules. The water is totally clear, but when I turn the jets on it is rather foamy. We just changed the water about a month ago and since then we have only used it maybe 4 times. Any advice?

Foaming hot tub water is often due to detergents left in bathing suits from doing laundry, it could also have to do with your water chemistry, but we would need a full set of test results to make a guess on that. We do not use any detergent when washing bathing suits that will be used in the hot tub which helps extend the time between water changes considerably

Thanks! Here is another question...my FC is 2.5, CC is 1.0, and my CYA is 100+. I realize I need to do a partial drain and refill to lower my CYA but my husband is not home and I don't know how to do it. I am using dichlor granules, which I assume have CYA in them. In order to raise the FC to between 7 and 12 (as per the chart) is it okay to use regular liquid chlorine to raise the FC level? I don't want to mess with draining the hot tub myself because whenever we drain it past a certain level this "airlock" thing happens where we can't get the water to circulate which means we have to turn off the hot tub and mess with it a whole lot to get it to work again.

Yes, liquid chlorine or bleach to raise FC is the best option. Both are sodium hypochlorite with varying percentage of chlorine. Yes dichlor adds almost as much CYA as it adds chlorine.

To avoid airlock when filling the hot tub put the hose in the filter cavity. That will push the air out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.