Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foamy hot tub?

1. Back To Top    #1

Foamy hot tub?

Hi guys,

I let my hot tub get low on chlorine (on accident). It was at about .5. I just added some dichlor granules. The water is totally clear, but when I turn the jets on it is rather foamy. We just changed the water about a month ago and since then we have only used it maybe 4 times. Any advice?
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Foamy hot tub?

Foaming hot tub water is often due to detergents left in bathing suits from doing laundry, it could also have to do with your water chemistry, but we would need a full set of test results to make a guess on that. We do not use any detergent when washing bathing suits that will be used in the hot tub which helps extend the time between water changes considerably
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your CH?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Well the water also turned a bit cloudy so I added some dichlor and the problem seems to have gone away. Here's another question: is the CYA/chlorine ratio the same for hot tubs as for pools?
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

5. Back To Top    #5

Can a mod please move this to the hot tub forum? I put it here by mistake. Thanks!

mod note: thread moved, pooldv
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, follow the FC/CYA Chart for chlorinating the hot tub. If your CH is below 100ish then raise it to 125-150 to avoid foaming.

More here, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! Here is another question...my FC is 2.5, CC is 1.0, and my CYA is 100+. I realize I need to do a partial drain and refill to lower my CYA but my husband is not home and I don't know how to do it. I am using dichlor granules, which I assume have CYA in them. In order to raise the FC to between 7 and 12 (as per the chart) is it okay to use regular liquid chlorine to raise the FC level? I don't want to mess with draining the hot tub myself because whenever we drain it past a certain level this "airlock" thing happens where we can't get the water to circulate which means we have to turn off the hot tub and mess with it a whole lot to get it to work again.
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, liquid chlorine or bleach to raise FC is the best option. Both are sodium hypochlorite with varying percentage of chlorine. Yes dichlor adds almost as much CYA as it adds chlorine.

To avoid airlock when filling the hot tub put the hose in the filter cavity. That will push the air out.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

There have been a few times where our tub has gotten foamy, we used a defoamer, not sure if that is healthy for the chemical balance but it did get rid of the foam.