Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tree near this pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Tree near this pool

Looking for more privacy from neighbor. Hes gonna plant green giants on his side at some point. In mean time i wanted to put a tree behind this shed between back of shed and vinyl fence. It's about 35ft from pool. I picked up a hybrid poplar and grows real fast, but i read tgeir roots can be invasive so now im debating even planting the thing.
    http://s286.photobucket.com/user/moreira85/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskhozpprz.jpeg.html][/URL]
    http://
    18x44 double Roman vinyl pool, Hayward superpump, Hayward DE Filter,
    Aqua Rite T15 SWG, Taylor k 2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Tree near this pool

I won't mince words on my opinion. I am a self-professed tree person. Please do not plant this tree. It's a classic junk tree. The root system is massive which is needed to supply all that water to what can be a monster of a tree (over 100' tall depending on the variety of hybrid poplar). Those massive roots could easily destroy your deck and pool walls in time. Your deck will drain water to it and attract the roots that way. Additionally, trees that grow so fast have soft wood which leads to branches snapping easily.
    Your best bet is to encourage him (financially or otherwise) to plant the Green Giants on his side now which leaves you with the privacy and none of those concerns.
    The bigger thought about trees in your yard is shade. In MA you want no shade on you pool of it can be avoided. Trees in the wrong direction that get some height, especially those planted to the west, can kill the solar heating benefit you may have.
    If you really want a tree, we (or at least I) have about ten questions to ask about specifics of the site, your priorities, your time horizon, your microclimate, etc. Trees should be planted with forever in mind.
    I'm done now! Off soapbox.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Tree near this pool

Good advice!! So i guess ill junk the tree. Shouldnt plant in the front yard either?

4. Back To Top    #4

Also thanks for reply. I dont want shade either. The position this tree was going to be planted would not have taken sunlight away.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Not in mine.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!