Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Soooo...do I actually NEED a skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Soooo...do I actually NEED a skimmer?

OK, I have an indoor pool and spa...so we are never going to deal with leaves and such.

Do I have to have a skimmer?

I have one, but honestly I view it as a freeze problem during the winter. Can I seal it up and just use the bottom return for circulation/filtering?

It also appears to have developed a minor leak, the outside of it has stayed wet the last 2 days with no rain. I have not noticed a perceptible drop in water level.

Remember my builder has abandoned us, so no help there.
    2015 7x12 exercise pool. 54" deep. Pebble coated. Adjacent spa is 8ft x 8ft triangle.
    Here's a pic...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jw9weq80r..._2016.jpg?dl=1

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Soooo...do I actually NEED a skimmer?

Skimmers help get stuff off the top of the water. Body oil or such is what I am thinking of for your situation instead of leaves.

I really do not know. I have heard of no main drain but never no skimmer. Will have to see what others say as well.

I will keep thinking about it and see what wild ideas I come up with! LOL

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

if it's an indoor pool...why would rain get it wet and you worry about it freezing? I'm lost!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

A pool system is engineered for complete water turnover, usually in an 8 hr span, to keep water cleaned not just from debris but also from nasties, like byproducts formed by chlorine oxidizing bather waste. Pumps and filters are sized accordingly. Closing a skimmer is a bit like duct taping your mouth and trying to take vitamins in a suppository, at least to my mind

That said, i don't know how your system was engineered...but it seems to me it would be sub-optimal to operate that way deliberately for any length of time.

Eg. You need to fix or get someone to fix the skimmer leak -- so you should be fine shutting the skimmer line as an interim measure.

Just don't underestimate the power of filtration in water quality. Its the difference between swimming in a bathtub or stagnant pond and freshwater
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You will regret removing that skimmer. Keep it and use it for what it's intended....filtering your water.

If you can see it wet from the outside, any leak ought to be pretty easy to find
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

OK OK OK

Skimmer will stay.

I'll post some pics of the situation to help explain my concerns when I get a chance.

Thanks everyone!
    2015 7x12 exercise pool. 54" deep. Pebble coated. Adjacent spa is 8ft x 8ft triangle.
    Here's a pic...

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    OK OK OK

Skimmer will stay.

I'll post some pics of the situation to help explain my concerns when I get a chance.

Thanks everyone!
    LOL
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, had some kids in the pool/spa this weekend and figured out the 'leak' in the skimmer.

There is a plastic bucket that makes up the skimmer body, and then there is an upper cover that appears to really only be there to allow the disk that covers the skimmer to be mounted/removed. At any rate they are not sealed together, so when the water becomes agitated, it spills through this unsealed opening and shows up through the stucco on the outside of the box where the skimmer is located.

I will seal this and see if the issue goes away.

It was necessary to keep the skimmer at the height shown to prevent drainage water from the driveway and roof getting into the pool.

Heavy rains can still get water into the pool via the screen windows, and this is what happened that I mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Here's a pic...

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

ahh, interesting.

I hope it's as simple as that!
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

10. Back To Top    #10

Did I never post the pic...derp!

Here's a pic...