Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intermatic Replacement - Which Model?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intermatic Replacement - Which Model?

I've exercised my Google-fu and am not confident I've found the answer. My current Intermatic timer motor died, and I don't know what model it is. The labels have all worn off. I'm looking to replace the whole timer since it's almost 15 years old.

I'm running a 1.5HP Whisperflo, Minimax NT, and an Aquarite. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe it's running on 240, although I believe the Minimax comes 240 from the factory.

Do I just need a standard 104? I have pictures if it helps. I will need to post them later.

TIA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intermatic Replacement - Which Model?

Yes, please post pictures. I find it hard ot believe you are running a 1.5HP Whisperflo on 110v.....

Oh, Welcome to TFP!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Took longer than planned. This equipment is all new to me and I'm struggling to sort it out. The pump model is B2854, if that helps. Also, is it possible to just replace the timer mechanism, without removing the box from the wall and detaching the conduit?

20160825_194156.jpg20160825_194221.jpg20160825_194020.jpg20160825_194040.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Yes, the actual timer mechanism is just held in with tabs, it comes out relatively easily.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Turn off the breaker and remove the single silver screw below the red handle of the timer. That will allow you to remove the black cover over the wires. Take a picture, but from the wires I see coming out from under the cover it appears the timer is powering two 220 loads one pipe coming out the bottom seems to go to the pump, but I can't tell where the second pipe goes. Plus, it appears there is a third wire (without seeing under the black cover) I'm guessing is wired to the line side, meaning it's hot all the time and goes to another piece of equipment.

For household wiring green wires are ground wires, white wires are neutral and all other colors are hot/power.

If this times was 110v I would expect to see a green wire, a white wire and a colored wire which was being switched by the timer

Yours has a green wire, no white wire and two colored wired (red/black) which are both being switched which tells me this is a 220v installation.

This should be the replacement - Intermatic T104M Mechanical Time Switch Mechanism Only - Wall Timer Switches - Amazon.com
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

You can also just replace the timer motor if the mechanism is not damaged. Thats assuming the problem with it is that its not turning.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Turn off the breaker and remove the single silver screw below the red handle of the timer. That will allow you to remove the black cover over the wires. Take a picture, but from the wires I see coming out from under the cover it appears the timer is powering two 220 loads one pipe coming out the bottom seems to go to the pump, but I can't tell where the second pipe goes. Plus, it appears there is a third wire (without seeing under the black cover) I'm guessing is wired to the line side, meaning it's hot all the time and goes to another piece of equipment.
    I'll work pm getting picture. One line out the bottom goes to the pump and the other goes to the heater. The line out the left side goes to the AquaRite. That might be the one that gets constant power. I'll have to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKrupp View Post
    You can also just replace the timer motor if the mechanism is not damaged. That's assuming the problem with it is that its not turning.
    It seems to just be the motor. The switch works, but the motor is not turning. Looking closer at the enclosure, it is not weatherproof(resistant). Now I'm thinking it might be better to change the whole thing out.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by TellyDSP View Post
    I'll work pm getting picture. One line out the bottom goes to the pump and the other goes to the heater. The line out the left side goes to the AquaRite. That might be the one that gets constant power. I'll have to look into it.

It seems to just be the motor. The switch works, but the motor is not turning. Looking closer at the enclosure, it is not weatherproof(resistant). Now I'm thinking it might be better to change the whole thing out.
    Not a big deal to look into the wiring, jus keep the wires that are under the same screw under the same screw when you change it out.

While you can replace just the motor, I'm of the opinion that when one goes just replace the whol thing before something else goes.

That is a weatherproof housing so no need to replace.

9. Back To Top    #9

There isn't an awful lot that can go wrong with the mechanism itself which is why I mentioned the motor only route. If the box has no cracks then its as weather proof as any.

10. Back To Top    #10

Life got in the way, but here are the pics of what is behind the cover. The conduit on the left goes to the Chlorine Generator, the conduit on the right comes from the breaker, and the two bottom ones go to the pump and the heater. Thanks again.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Definitely 240V, looks like the switched leg is for pool motor and SWG. And the heater is wired hot. T-104M for mechanism only and T-104R for mechanism and rainproof box. It looks like you have the outdoor box, is there still a gasket around closing door?

12. Back To Top    #12

It looks like you have the outdoor box, is there still a gasket around closing door?
    Thanks. There isn't a gasket, and based on the label on the inside of the door, it's seen its share of water. That's why I think it would be best to replace the whole thing.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I see lots of those old breaker boxes on the outside of homes and none of them have gaskets.

Have you looked to see if the the timer motor is running or not? Look in that opening that my red arrow is pointing to. If the gears aren't turning, then the motor is shot and you can just replace it and off you go. Cheap fix.

pool timer.jpg
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Looks like a good ole T104 to me