Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello...I'm a newbie and I have a question

1. Back To Top    #1
    Apopka, Florida

Hello...I'm a newbie and I have a question name is Mari, that's Marie with no E, I am a Florida Native, wife to a wonderful husband, mother to two amazing kids, and the proud owner of a 22ft, steel frame, above ground pool. My husband and I were wanting to sink the bottom of the pool, roughly 1.5 -2 inches in the ground, but we are not sure if we should or not. Any advice or suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!
    Mari Drechsel
    22ft Above ground
    Steel Frame

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Hello...I'm a newbie and I have a question

Welcome, I would suggest asking this question in the aboveground pool section as you will likely get more on topic views there

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Why would you got through that much trouble for 2 inches?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Panama City

I too live in Fl! I have seen wash out numerous times from a downpour. Your 2" could become 4or 5 quickly! Just a thoughtful observance. Mine sits directly on the ground even though it's exactly 2" out of level. It was a quick and dirty install. We need more info! Thanks Jec

5. Back To Top    #5

Montville NJ

Short answer - yes

Long answer - When you bury an above ground pool (with a few exceptions) it can cause problems. The weight of the earth pushing in can cause the walls to collapse if you ever drain your pool, such as when you put a new liner in. In addition, burying a pool can cause it to corrode faster. When you bury most pools, it also voids the warranty. Now some pools can be buried, they are stronger, and have either a coating or are not made of metal. Having said that, many people have successfuly buried their above ground pools. Now, you said you want to bury it 2 inches. That is not going to cause a collapsing problem,, and unless your soils is allways saturated to the top, it should not be much more a corrosion issue thatn mormally occurs when dirt collects next to a pool. Maybe it will void your warranty, if that matters to you. But, as someone else said, why 2 inches? That is a lot of work and effor, not no real benefit - unless you are trying to match it to an existing deck. I have a 48" pool, and if it ever dies, I plan on getting a 52" and dropping it 4" so it lines up with my current deck.

27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo