Top blew off of filter body/housing

Apr 27, 2014
Central FL
So I flipped on the pump and the top jumps off the filter body. It's a Hayward C1200

Before I even get started I should say that ever since I bought this house last year the Tie Rod (you know the rod that normally remains in the bottom part of the filter body when you take the top off), well mine comes off with the top.

Somehow it's become one with the locking knob/handle you turn on the top, and when you turn it to take the top off - the top and rod come out together. So every time you clean the filter you have to be try and "feel around" for the little hole at the bottom of the filter housing and screw it in that way. Take a look at what I mean...

mEAq3LK.jpg

vKQo2oK.jpg

Well, right, the top hops off the filter body, it's been on for about a month since I cleaned the filter last, running fine everyday. Good thing I was right there to see it come off as I turned it on manually just to distribute some chlorine I put in the pool.

But I can't get it on this time! Something happened, but it's not visually obvious to me. Normally I fish around for the hole at the bottom (remember the rod is stuck in the top part), find the hole, press down, hear/feel it suck in airtight, and then I can tighten it in just fine. But now I find the hole and push down and it just doesn't seem the same. And I turn the knob and it just turns and turns.

I guess I just might have to suck it up and replace it. Unless someone has an idea. If I do need a new one - I found one for about $230. Is that good? How about a good guide for replacing it myself DIY. Can't be too hard right? Turn a thing, push a thing, bing bang boom right? Is there a different replacement you'd recommend? Thanks for reading.

I am not clear on how those filter are secured closed.

But, if you end up need to replace the filter, perhaps we might be about to offer some recommendations.

What size is your pool? You might want to take the opportunity to upgrade to a larger filter to reduce cleaning frequency.

Please fill out your signature.

I am not clear on how those filter are secured closed.

But, if you end up need to replace the filter, perhaps we might be about to offer some recommendations.

What size is your pool? You might want to take the opportunity to upgrade to a larger filter to reduce cleaning frequency.

Please fill out your signature.

The current filter is a Hayward c1200. Does a pretty good job if you ask me. Pool size is about 13,500 gallons.

I'm just going to replace the filter because the tie rod is supposed to stay in the bottom and it doesn't which is a hassle to back together.

Are the Sta-Rite filters comparable to the Hayward line?

For a pool your size, with the pool open year long, I would recommend a 200sqft cartridge filter as a minimum size. And you can always go bigger.

Any of the major brands are fine, although I recall some negative reviews for the Sta-Rite System 3 (very expensive filter elements that are hard to clean)

For a pool your size, with the pool open year long, I would recommend a 200sqft cartridge filter as a minimum size. And you can always go bigger.

Any of the major brands are fine, although I recall some negative reviews for the Sta-Rite System 3 (very expensive filter elements that are hard to clean)

It seems the filter I have now (Hayward c1200, 120sqft) doesn't come in 200sqft size.

Have a question: Obviously the flow rate of the pool filter needs to be higher than the GPM that the pump moves, right? If that is the case, since the filter can move through more water than the pump can give it, is there even a benefit to increase the sqft of the filter if I don't also upgrade the pump?

I should say I don't really understand the whole "filter sqft" concept or what it really means. I'm only 5 mins in to reading up on it.

Go bigger then or go to a different brand/design ;)

Filters have a maximum flow rate, but cartridge filters have no minimums. The bigger the filter, the slower the flow through the cartridge surface and the water will actually be filtered a little better. Plus the bigger the filter, the less often you need to clean it, making it more troublefree.

The sqft is just the area of the paper in the cartridge if you flattened it out.

C1200 is plenty.

Edit: DISREGARD this post, mixed up my posts.
It seems the filter I have now (Hayward c1200, 120sqft) doesn't come in 200sqft size.

I was able to find the c1200 for around $230. What is the equivalent model of Sta-Rite? Sta-Rite is the same as Pentair?

Then I will also look for the next size sqft up from these models.

Too many different models from both Pentair and Hayward for just cartridge filters.

Pentair has Clean & Clear, Clean & Clear Plus, Clean & Clear RP, Posi-Clear RP, System:2, System:3

Hayward has Star-Clear, Star-Clear Plus, SwimClear Single Element, SwimClear Multi-Element

Are any of these more practical/common than the others?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not think it makes much difference which model or brand you go with.

FYI, there is a C2002 that is basically the same as what you have now in a 200 sqft size ... it is just about 6" taller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.