Algae battle and pool shock question

cjs

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2014
Cypress, TX
Good morning....I've been monitoring this site for a while, but this is my first post...

A little history: I've recently been victimized by crazy pool store test results. My pool is a year and a half old, and I use chlorine tablets. 1 year ago, CYA was at 50...now one pool store was telling me it was at over 250, and I've never added anything other than what the tabs add. My own tests, and now the TF100 Test kit comes in at 60-70.

A few weeks ago, my pool developed a very small mustard algae outbreak. I've been following the process in Pool School to fix that...I have a couple of questions:

1) I have 2 dogs that shed quite a bit. They do not swim, but their hair is still in the pool, and works well as skimmer socks! Right now, my overnight FC test is losing 1.5ppm, no CC. Could the dog hair in the pool create FC loss, or would you say I still have algae in the pool?

2) Post shock, I have debris on the bottom of the pool that looks like feathers. What is that? Does it need to be vacuumed to waste, or is it OK to let the filter get it?

That's it for now...thanks for any and all help.

cjs said:
A little history: I've recently been victimized by crazy pool store test results. My pool is a year and a half old, and I use chlorine tablets. 1 year ago, CYA was at 50...now one pool store was telling me it was at over 250, and I've never added anything other than what the tabs add. My own tests, and now the TF100 Test kit comes in at 60-70.
The tabs would add CYA as well as chlorine, and going from 50 to 250 in one year of consistent tab use seems within reason. When you did the CYA test, did the black dot completely disappear? This page shows pics of what the test should look like. If your water wasn't cold and you did the test correctly, then your result is what you should trust.

Don't know about the other stuff you asked about...
--paulr

I would ignore the pool store results. They are frequently wildly off. Just double check that you did the TF100 CYA test correctly, black dot totally vanished, and then trust that result.

Dog hair would not consume 1.5 ppm of FC overnight. It might use just a little, but you would have trouble measuring it.

If the feathers really are feathers you should scoop them out with a leaf rake. If they go through the net of the leaf rake then you can vacuum them normally.

I first bought a Pentair CYA test kit for $20 at pool store to verify CYA, it read 60. Took that to the pool store that was getting the 250 reading (which is where I bought the kit). I let them use my kit, they also got a reading of 60. They couldn't explain why they were different. I then went to another PS, they tested and also got a reading of 60, but their test kit was actually the same one I bought. At that point, I needed a tie breaker, and the TF100 was my choice. I'm getting 60-70 on there, so I am confident the pool store is wrong...and yes, I watch for the dot to completely disappear.

The "feathers" in the pool are not feathers, that's just what they look like. I assume it is something in the water that the shock is affecting, and it settles on the bottom.

The "feathers" in the pool are not feathers, that's just what they look like.
It could be dead algae that has settled to the bottom.

If you are losing FC overnite and you still have debris at the bottom of the pool, I would bring the FC up to shock value and hold it there until.......
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Thanks for the info.

You know, I've spent a lot of time reading through info posted on this board, and I have a comment. So much of the information found here is so completely opposite of what you hear elsewhere (especially in pool stores), that it begins to be difficult to know what to believe. I, like most I would guess, tend to believe posters on this board, because you aren't directly selling anything. Also, most answers appear to be backed by science, experience, or both, which helps me to buy into what is said.

On the flip side, there is a strong bias toward buying the test kits endrosed on this site (which I have and I am glad I did), and following the BBB method (not selling anything, but pushing an agenda). So I guess there is in a sense a couple of things being sold here.

Bottom line, they say ignorance is bliss. Sometimes, the more you learn about things, especially with different viewpoints...it can often become downright confusing!

Thanks for all you guys do to share your knowledge, opinions, and ideas!

Everyone here who recommends the TF100 does so because they think it is the best test kit available. There isn't any site policy to push the TF100, we let people say what they think. Likewise, we recommend the BBB method because we think it is the best way to take care of a pool.

The sad thing is how many pool stores give bad advice. They recommend procedures that simply don't work or which cause additional problems. We are constantly hearing stories from people where their pool store tell them to do things which will actually lower their PH to 6.0, or tell them to add both PH Up and PH Down. And then there are the stories of people who went to three different pool stores to have their water tested and came back with three completely different sets of results.

cjs said:
Thanks for the info.So much of the information found here is so completely opposite of what you hear elsewhere (especially in pool stores), that it begins to be difficult to know what to believe.
I know exactly what you mean. Two months ago, I didn't know anything about pools other than the house I had just bought had a green/black one in the back yard.

Since I started cleaning my pool, I've received advice from pool store employees, former "pool boys", and pool owners about how I need to do a complete drain, or I need to buy more "clarifier", I need algaecide, copper, etc. I just patiently followed the instruction on this site and now I have a jaw-droppingly clear pool.

I think most of the experts on here will acknowledge that there are other methods out there that will work. But they can't match BBB's balance of ease, effectiveness, and inexpensiveness.

If in doubt, just give the BBB method and TFP advice one month and see for yourself.

Added: My neck of the woods, too. I live off 1960.

Quick message to clarify my intent. I think I came across questioning the integrity of this site and the people who post here.

Quite the opposite is true!

My comment about the test kits and BBB were intended to present a devil's advocate role...what would a pool store owner say if I said I don't follow his advice b/c troublefreepool.com says different, and they aren't trying to sell anything. I'd expect he/she to say what I said, but I didnt' mean to imply I thought the information here was wrong because of that.

The test kit is fantastic. For the first time I can test my water and feel confident in the results. BBB makes sense to me, although I am still trying to learn how to incorporate that, while going to work, and coming home to a wife and 2 small kids (topic for my next post?), and not being home every day.

Sorry if I offended anyone...that was not my intent.

Craig

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cjs said:
My comment about the test kits and BBB were intended to present a devil's advocate role...what would a pool store owner say if I said I don't follow his advice b/c troublefreepool.com says different, and they aren't trying to sell anything. I'd expect he/she to say what I said, but I didnt' mean to imply I thought the information here was wrong because of that.

but it wouldn't be a valid argument since none of the administrators or mods make money from that kit. (duraleigh! stop the kickbacks!) and the taylor k-2006 is also recommended, and not sold by anyone on the forum.

Your original comments were clear and I concur. Being a new pool owner, I was fortunate to start with BBB. I think the issue with pool stores is the same it is at just about every store you go to. Low wage employees doing their best most times, but simply not knowledgable enough for whatever they are selling. It's not cost-effective for companies to train them, so they take what they can get and we're stuck with it.

If it doesn't make sense, I don't believe it. Things have to make sense.

I used to keep aquariums and all my fishy friends said the same thing about most of the pet store employees.

I suspect that they get their education from reading the labels on the products on the shelves. "Here, take this magic fairy dust -- it will make all your problems disappear overnight. It says so right here. We sell a LOT of this, it must work well."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.