Filter Issues - How do you know if your filter is really working?

May 19, 2015
Burbank, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a 20 year old filter.

It looks very close to this filter. (Pentair 2000??) The labels have faded away, so I don't have any idea.

hqdefault.jpg

Everyday or Every other day, after I started managing the pool, i've been sweeping the pool floor to the deep end. The floor of the pool always has a thin layer of dirt? After doing that, I manually vacuum the pool. But after a couple of days, there is again a thin layer of dirt at the pool floor.

Is this is normal? How often do people normally have to vacuum the pool floor?
I know some people have automatic cleaners, but i'm just doing it manually.

During this entire processes. I'm in the middle of an epic yellow algae fight and i'm not really sure if i'm winning the battle or not. My current FC is around 12-14 ppm. I want to shock the pool, but i'm not sure if the filter will be able to actually filter the pool or not.

I brought out our pool man and when he came out like 2 months ago, he said the filter is fine, but he thinks the sand? or whatever is in the filter that cleans the water is leaking back into the pool. Today he came out and told me I need to replace the filter without really checking the pool. I'm not sure what he would even check, but he even claimed that he personally doesn't know how to replace filters. And gave me a number of someone else that does.

I'm tackling alot of pool issue all at once, and all these things are going to be really pointless if my pool filter isn't really doing it's job. Right?
Any suggestions? How do I know if my pool filter is actually working? What are the signs I should be looking for?

Can I shock my pool even if my pool filter is "kind of" working? Or should I address this issue first

90% of all filter problems are actually chemistry problems. You need to get all of the algae in your water and in your filter killed. After the algae is dead and falls to the floor of your pool, and you vacuum and backwash, if the problem still exists, you can work on the filter.

P.S. Just to be first, we will need real test results, preferably from a TF 100 (or the Taylor K2006) test kit. And...We Never Shock!

As above, we cannot guess at your pools condition....we need test results to give us some reliable data.

That said, the "dirt" you say continually reappearing on your pool floor is dead algae.

I don't think you have multiple issues......I think you have a misunderstanding of what you are seeing and I am positive you are not testing properly so that you can manage your pool or so that we can help.

At some point, you will need to bite the bullet and get one of the two suggested kits here on the forum. That will lead you to a whole new understanding of your pool chemistry. Keep reading the forum and about the thousands of people that have made the commitment to learn how to manage their pools.

Also, maybe post pictures of your actual filter and other equipment. Quite possibly, someone here can identify it and help you better understand exactly what it all is and how to use/maintain it better.

Build up at bottom of the pool - Pictures

Just to be first, we will need real test results, preferably from a TF 100 (or the Taylor K2006) test kit. And...We Never Shock!

My readings (T-2006)

FC - 12.5
pH - 7.4
TA - 180-200
CH - 750
CYA - 80-90

I don't think you have multiple issues......I think you have a misunderstanding of what you are seeing and I am positive you are not testing properly so that you can manage your pool or so that we can help.

I have been testing twice a day.

Sorry, I think all the comments are under the assumption i have not been testing. But I have been. I just didn't mention it in my original post.

Also, maybe post pictures of your actual filter and other equipment. Quite possibly, someone here can identify it and help you better understand exactly what it all is and how to use/maintain it better.

Ok let me do that right now.

I ended up just getting yellowtrine to help fight off the algae. $29.99 at my local pool store, but I was worried this algae was becoming resistant to the current levels of chlorine.
I just wanted to get the whole thing over with.

yellowtrine.jpg

I already had my pool at around 20 ppm FC. And threw in 1 lb of shock into the skimmer to make sure it got the job done.

I used around half the yellowtrine while adding a gallon of chlorine mirroring where I used the powder.
After I tested the water a week later, my pool was clear and had 0 FC. heh. I brought out the vacuum and did the pool twice over and adding a gallon of chlorine.

I have the pump running 3 hours a day. I'll give it another week. Then start to investigate whether or not the filter is actually working properly.

The active ingredient in YellowTrine is Sodium Bromide which brings with it multiple issues. One of the largest is an increased chlorine demand. I would suggest you stop use of this and follow the SLAM Process process.

Can you please post a current set of test results and a photo of your water as I'd love to help walk you through fixing your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.