Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Going to give up soon...can't take this never ending green

1. Back To Top    #1

ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Going to give up soon...can't take this never ending green

Seriously, I feel like I'm about to tell y'all my life story. Err, my pool's life story, that never seems to end with a happy, fairytale ending that I want. LOL
    1st, I've only had my test kit a week so, I'm learning. Don't get all judgy pants on me
    2nd, pool turned green because it was off for a couple days while I waited for a part.
    I've been trying to fix it ever since, CYA was zero so added a gallon of liquid CYA. Previously had added a gallon too.
    Then added a box of Borax to raise PH & added a bunch of baking soda for TA. Added a few gallons of 8.25% bleach. I thought we were getting somewhere but....yesterday I poured my blood, sweat (literally) & tears into scrubbing & vacuuming the pool & today it looks more green NOT more clear! What the heck is going on??? HELP please

PH 7.5
    FC 15.5
    CC 1
    CH 300
    TA ??? turned clear at 120 red at 130, for future reference do I use the red or clear reading?
    CYA 60

Thanks pool peeps!
    Hot & Humid Houston
    17k gal, IG gunite, Hayward CX1900RE cartridge filter, Century 2 speed 1081 HP 1.5-.25, 5 years old, TF 100, no spa or cleaner (other than my hard working hands ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Going to give up soon...can't take this never ending green

Slam level for a CYA of 60ppm is 24ppm. Bring her up there and hold! Good luck! Also your ph reading will be off when over 10ppm FC so stop adding any borax.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

That's the shortest life story I've read! You need to go through the SLAM process now. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote "Don't get all judgy pants on me"

This may be the best thing I have ever seen on a forum!

Congratulations...
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Teeheehee, I decided to not bore you to death so I went with the abridged version
    BTW this non-scientific mind finds the Slamming process a wee bit confusing. I just added 2 gallons of bleach per the calculator. Now I keep the FC at 24 till the CC is .5 correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Griswald, I aim to please
    Hot & Humid Houston
    17k gal, IG gunite, Hayward CX1900RE cartridge filter, Century 2 speed 1081 HP 1.5-.25, 5 years old, TF 100, no spa or cleaner (other than my hard working hands ;)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Don't expect this to clear up this afternoon. The SLAM is a process and will take possibly several days....don't lose sight of that.
    Now I keep the FC at 24 till the CC is .5 correct?
    No. Your FC of 24 must be maintained until you meet three criteria...

1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)

2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less

3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Read that SLAM article over and over and stay the course.....you must keep adding chlorine backl up to 24 ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

HI there! We got ya so no worries! If you do not understand something or just want to make sure of something before you do it ASK! We LOVE to help. Our main goal is for YOU to be in charge of your pool, NOT the pool being in charge of you.

So I will break it down a tiny bit more for you:

-for now ONLY test FC-Try to test as often as you can. Add chlorine when you see the FC drop below your SLAM level. After a while you will see the drop happen less and less. Try your best to test and dose at least 4 times a day, more if possible.

-You can test CC every other day if you want but it is not really needed. It dose show you how your battle with the algae is going.

-Brush at least once a day, try for two when you can. It WILL make your water cloudy BUT that is a good thing! It is getting the stuff up to be killed by the FC and to the filter to clean it out of the water.

-Run your pump 24/7. VERY important to clear.

-clean filter when your pressure goes up 20% over you clean %

-Take a picture of your pool looking down at the steps. THAT will help you and us know the SLAM is working. You eyes will not see it day to day but the picture will show it.

-drink an adult drink or two to help during this time LOL

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Dave, I watched a Youtube video where the pool was greener than mine & he added 6 gallons of bleach & scrubbed & the next day pool was almost clear. So, I was expecting it to be faster.
    Hot & Humid Houston

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

So, I was expecting it to be faster.
    It varies quite a bit. Most of the time, it's frustratingly slow but you can see improvement every day.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't give up. SLAM and this will end.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks everyone, FINALLY today I can see a visible difference! Woohoo almost party time
    Well, to be more exact, I can see the bottom of the pool and all the strips of algae I missed when I was vacuuming & scrubbing LOL
    It's gonna be cocktail time soon!!!
    Hot & Humid Houston

12. Back To Top    #12

SWEET!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Glad you are making progress! Just make sure you follow the SLAM procedure until you pass all 3 criteria. You'll be amazed at the TFP "sparkle" your water will have!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!