Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Store testing - the other CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Store testing - the other CYA

Today is one week after new plaster. I took a water sample to the store so I could document the fact that I'm following mfr start-up guidelines. (Covering Your A)

Big surprise: it backfired.

My supply of calcium got me to 250 CH after day 3. That's the rec minimum and I'd rather it be around 300, so I bought more and purposely shot lower than the Poolmath figure when I added it last night. I haven't re-tested since the addition, but I'd expect 275-300. The store came back 190!

I haven't tested TA in a few days. It was 100. They said it's 60 now. Maybe that's possible? The pool had quite a thirst for acid, esp in those first few days but it has settled down a lot.

So:

1. Ignore it, there's really no such thing as a plaster warranty anyway
    2. Add a little more calcium and repeat $tore test
    3. Take a sample to another location to compare results

votes? option 4?
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Store testing - the other CYA

4. Buy the TF-100 test kit recommended by this site, and stop going to the pool store.

Edit: Oops. You already have it. I wouldn't add anything based on pool store numbers - stick to your own test numbers.
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Given that you are just trying to have documentation available showing your CH is correct, I would opt for #3. If you were a bit closer I would offer to do it since I use the TF-100 and would get the same numbers as you, but North Detroit is a haul. So just find a store that shows numbers as close to yours as you can and keep a copy of those results.

Aside, while you are using that much acid you should test your TA every couple of days to make sure you aren't risking a problem. A TA and pH crash is definitely not healthy for new plaster!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by kellyfair View Post
    4. Buy the TF-100 test kit recommended by this site, and stop going to the pool store.

Edit: Oops. You already have it. I wouldn't add anything based on pool store numbers - stick to your own test numbers.
    While I whole-heartedly agree, the OP is trying to get documented proof that the pool is at the proper levels for warranty purposes.

I would keep trying different pool $tores, with how inconsistent their testing has proven to be, sooner or later you'll get something that meets your needs LOL.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    A TA and pH crash is definitely not healthy for new plaster!
    That's good to know. - I'll keep an eye on TA from now on too.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

6. Back To Top    #6

I tested last night.

My previous TA test came in at 100. Pool $tore said 60. Last night my test came in at 90. (no more benefit of doubt for pool $store - I'll spell it with $$$ from now on!)

Previous CH came it at 250. Pool $tore said 190. I had used pool math to add enough to bring it from 250 to 300 and re-tested. It tested as a reasonable 325.

Everyone here knows that the pool $tore test are inaccurate, but most pool owners aren't TFP members and therefore trust bogus numbers. IMO, that crosses the line from inaccurate to egregious.

I'll give him credit, the clerk only tried to soft-sell me more chemicals, but still... On the bright side, this supports Dom's theory: sooner or later their random figures will land where I want them!

7. Back To Top    #7

and keep the reciepts for the stuff you are adding "per the pool store test" wink wink
    in 3 weeks or 3 months when yoiu have warranty issue the questions will be
    "did you get water tested ?"
    "Did you add products to fix issues ?"
    keep receipts for both
    you should be fine
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.