Carmondm

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Have you read any of Pool School, specifically starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry?

How does your water look? Perfectly clear and sparkly? Clear but cloudy? Too cloudy to see the bottom? A green swamp? Pictures are certainly appreciated! The best way is to link to pictures from a photo sharing website or through your smartphone and the tapatalk app.

Comments on your test results:
Your CYA is greater than 100. If you want to know how high it is you can dilute your pool water 1:1 with tap water and repeat the test. Multiply the result by 2 to get your actual CYA. However, regardless of what this dilution test tells you, the only way to lower your CYA is to drain the pool. In your case, I'd recommend draining at least half your pool water and refilling. Be sure to always leave 1 foot of water in the shallowest part of the pool when draining though. You want your CYA between 40 and 60 ppm. Using products like trichlor tablets and dichlor shock powders is how CYA gets increased. They both add CYA while adding FC (chlorine) to your pool.

FC level is too low for sanitation at those high CYA levels. See the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

CCs are an indication that your chlorine is being actively consumed by excessive organic material in the pool. Either algae or bacteria... or urine/bather waste.

pH and TA are fine for now.

Your first order of business is draining water to lower the CYA level.

I have read the entire site and lots of threads. I just received my Taylor test kit yesterday and I tested my water this morning. I have also read the book that came with the rest kit. I have had a pool for 40 years and I have always taken my water to a local pool dealer to be checked. In all these years, no one has ever told me about CYA levels. I checked it using the 1:1 ratio and the CYA is 160. My water is crystal clear and I have not had any algae or discloration on my liner. What happened was my grandchildren were complaining that the water was burning their eyes. I took a sample to my pool store and he told me I had 0 chlorine and that I needed To raise my TA and add PH down. I added 25 lbs of Akalinity up and 2 lbs of PH down. Then the water turned my grand children's hair green. However the water is still crystal clear. I take another sample to a different pool store and they tell me my chlorine is to high and PH needs to come up. They tell me not to put chlorine in my pool for 3 or 4 days and to add 4 lbs of PH up and to add a bottle of metal remover. I did all of that and after a couple of days I check my water with my little kit that only tests chlorine and PH and the chlorine is still high and the PH is still at 7.2. That's when I found your site and ordered my Taylor Kit. What I was having trouble with was trying to put my numbers in the pool calculator to figure out what I needed to do. But still my water is sparkly clear. I have been using tablets and granular shock for three years. I will try draining my pool down and see if that brings the CYA levels down. I used to use liquid chlorine and tablets but the last three years I have been only using tablets and granular shock. But I have only shocked my pool once all summer. I though since I haven't had any problems with algae or cloudy water I was good.

Green hair means you have copper in the water. Hopefully this has come from using algaecides in the past and will be solved with the water change too

Incorrect ph or high levels of combined chloramines (CCs) are the usual sources of burning eyes. It was probably the ph unless the pool smelled like chlorine while they were swimming? A chlorine smell is an indication of high CC's

Dont worry, with the advice available on this site your grandkids will be saying you have the nicest pool ever, my partners grandkids were saying that last year, and you will know it is safe for them.

Oh, hi and welcome to the site too :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HI! Your wallet is going to LOVE TFP as will your Grands!

I think it best you do not bother with the book that came with the kit. It is much easier to just use this site. Our info. is based on solid science as well and daily testing in THOUSANDS of pools.

Have you see this link?

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

So much cheaper!

Let us know of ANY questions or concerns you might have.

:kim:

Your CYA is still a tad high BUT it can be worked with.

Look at this link please. It tells you all of the levels we like:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Now this link will help you know how high to have your FC with your CYA at 80:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Here is a link to my life saver-POOL MATH! I LOVE this thing! It does all of the math for you. There is a learning curve for it so take it slow and let us know what you think you should do before you do it if you have any concerns:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Let me know how you do with this info. Does it make sense? Is your pool levels doing what they should when you add stuff?

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.