Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about lowering CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about lowering CYA

As I am draining my pool can I test the water for CYA or do I have to drain then refill then test with pool full of water. Finally biting the bullet and lowering it. I used the pool math calculator and it says 50% so that's roughly where I am going with it. Thanks!
    22' Round x 52" deep Coleman AGP, 12,500 gallons. Filled 5-1-16. XtremePowerUSA 4500 GPH 19" Sand Filter w/1.5 HP Pump. Hayward Dyna-Skim In The Wall Skimmer. Hard Plumbed w/2" PVC. PVC Aerator. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Above Ground Pool Cleaner. Whitesboro, TX (North Texas). Taylor K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chorine FAS-DPD. Use The Pool Math App By Trouble Free Pool For Logging.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about lowering CYA

Quote Originally Posted by GinaLovesSummer View Post
    As I am draining my pool can I test the water for CYA or do I have to drain then refill then test with pool full of water. Finally biting the bullet and lowering it. I used the pool math calculator and it says 50% so that's roughly where I am going with it. Thanks!
    You're testing for relative levels of CYA. Less water with no other changes = same relative level of CYA. Like when you're testing the level in the pool by using a small sample of water. So 1 ounce of that water is the same as 10,000 gallons. Unless you introduce new CYA-free water to dilute the overall CYA content of your pool it will always read the same.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

No sense checking the remaining water, it will be the same as the CYA is evenly distributed throughout.

Check it after you complete the refill.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

It hurts now but you'll be a lot happier when all that excess CYA is gone.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what I figure. Might as well get it right and slam properly so that when I close for the winter I am not kicking myself for not lowering it. In the beginning of the summer I was being pool stored and that's why I have a CYA of 110. I read it wrong when I first started testing. I figure fix it right this year and hopefully be running smooth next year.
    22' Round x 52" deep Coleman AGP, 12,500 gallons. Filled 5-1-16. XtremePowerUSA 4500 GPH 19" Sand Filter w/1.5 HP Pump. Hayward Dyna-Skim In The Wall Skimmer. Hard Plumbed w/2" PVC. PVC Aerator. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Above Ground Pool Cleaner. Whitesboro, TX (North Texas). Taylor K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chorine FAS-DPD. Use The Pool Math App By Trouble Free Pool For Logging.

6. Back To Top    #6

The good news is right after I finished draining what I wanted we started getting flooding rains so the pool filled super fast! Woo Hoo! Gonna wait for the sun tomorrow to retest my CYA!

7. Back To Top    #7

EXCELLENT planning!
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

8. Back To Top    #8

Where did your CYA end up, Gina?

9. Back To Top    #9

It ended up at a 60 which I figure at least I can manage for the rest of the season. Plus I will drain part off to winterize once the water gets consistently down to 60 degrees.