Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plaster pool needing replastered

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster pool needing replastered

Hi, Just wondering what time of year is best to replaster the pool. Do you know how long it takes to do and how long the pool will remain empty? We have a 20,000 gallon pool.
    Thanks,
    Barb
    20,000 gal white plaster, w/spa waterfall, DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster pool needing replastered

I think it should typically be, drain 1-2 days, chip out and prep 1 day, plaster 1 day, fill 1-3 days. Whole thing should be under a week.

Not sure why the time of year would matter unless you have harsh weather. They are usually busier in the spring and summer so might get a better deal in the fall.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Assuming the pool is usable now it will need to be emptied only for as long as it takes to removes the existing finish and apply the new finish (1-2 weeks). Once the plaster is applied it will need to be refilled immediately to allow the plaster to cure properly (usually 28-30 days). My plaster guy said no swimming for 1st 30 days, He was maintaining the pool during that time (daily brushing is required for the first few weeks) and guaranteeing the work so I followed his guidance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I think it should typically be, drain 1-2 days, chip out and prep 1 day, plaster 1 day, fill 1-3 days. Hole thing should be under a week.

Not sure why the time of year would matter unless you have harsh weather. They are usually busier in the spring and summer so might get a better deal in the fall.
    That's pretty optimistic. We had a full sandblast down to gunite; doesn't add any time to the schedule and it ensures that there are no additional problems.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you!
    20,000 gal white plaster, w/spa waterfall, DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe optimistic, but that is as long as it should take. Also the no swimming for 30 days is complete nonsense.

Although if you are replacing tile too, that would add 1-2 days also.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    Assuming the pool is usable now it will need to be emptied only for as long as it takes to removes the existing finish and apply the new finish (1-2 weeks). Once the plaster is applied it will need to be refilled immediately to allow the plaster to cure properly (usually 28-30 days). My plaster guy said no swimming for 1st 30 days, He was maintaining the pool during that time (daily brushing is required for the first few weeks) and guaranteeing the work so I followed his guidance.

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty optimistic. We had a full sandblast down to gunite; doesn't add any time to the schedule and it ensures that there are no additional problems.
    Out of curiosity, what did it cost to fully sandblast and replaster? Mine's pretty old and could do with a sprucing up.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Our neighbor had his done this spring took 9 day but there was 4 days including the weekend where they did not do any work so it can be done in a week just depends on how many other jobs the company has going at the same time. I think where you live has something to do with it too. TX and CA having tons of pools there is lots plasterers so it seems like things get done a bit quicker since there is more labor available.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Amail View Post
    Out of curiosity, what did it cost to fully sandblast and replaster? Mine's pretty old and could do with a sprucing up.
    About $9,500. But I'm in Chicago where there's next to no competition. In TX it should be less.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

You might look into ecoFinish. It is a thermally applied plastic that would be easier to care for and doesn't require constant brushing for the first thirty days.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp View Post
    You might look into ecoFinish. It is a thermally applied plastic that would be easier to care for and doesn't require constant brushing for the first thirty days.
    Do you have experience with that product? For something that revolutionary there don't seem to be many homeowner reviews out there.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

11. Back To Top    #11

There was another member in the Dallas area who had Ecofinish installed and it seemed to be going well. I haven't seen any longer term follow ups from anyone on Ecofinish but it is very interesting.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    There was another member in the Dallas area who had Ecofinish installed and it seemed to be going well. I haven't seen any longer term follow ups from anyone on Ecofinish but it is very interesting.
    I'm always a little dubious about "greatest thing since sliced bread" innovations that have been around for years without much feedback.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

13. Back To Top    #13

I just had mine replastered, along with new coping and tile. Was quoted 2 weeks but took 14 weeks with the excuse that the plasterers were busy with new construction. I would think the fall would be a good time to replaster as there should be less competition from new builds.
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    I'm always a little dubious about "greatest thing since sliced bread" innovations that have been around for years without much feedback.
    I agree with you. I flew to their facility and was impressed enough that I'm in the process to install it.

It is the ideal product for remodels and another option on new construction.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    I agree with you. I flew to their facility and was impressed enough that I'm in the process to install it.

It is the ideal product for remodels and another option on new construction.
    WOW! And your pool is brand new too....that's a pretty bold endorsement considering your plaster is only a few years old and you're totally willing to rip out for the ecoFinish. I look forward to hearing and reading about your results

- - - Updated - - -

But I know the real reason you're doing it....you want to play with the propane flame-thrower again
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Got that right... Bring the heat!

I'm actually putting a crew together and I'll be an installer.
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

17. Back To Top    #17

"He's not just the hair club president he's a client too!"
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Brian I hope you have as good of luck as we have had. I have no complaints with the product. You are right in bring on the heat.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Good to hear. I kinda fell into this and feel like I'll be missing the boat if I don't jump on it right now. It is very different than what I'm comfortable with and currently doing but I suppose anything is a risk in the beginning.
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Good to hear. I kinda fell into this and feel like I'll be missing the boat if I don't jump on it right now. It is very different than what I'm comfortable with and currently doing but I suppose anything is a risk in the beginning.
    It's a very interesting concept and there's an applicator up in Phoenix. I doubt they'd ever come down here to Tucson to do jobs (or charge a massive premium) so the market is open down here for one of the traditional pool plaster companies to get into it.

Someday my pool will need a remodel. If this finishing technique is still around, it would definitely be on my list.
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast