Possible algae?

arbrey

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
Chicopee, MA
Here are my numbers
FC=5.5 Usually keep between 6.0 and 5.0
Ph= 7.8 Plan on lowering this to 7.6 According to poolmath by adding 1.3lbs stabilizer
CC=.0
TA=90
CYA=40
It's very hard here to keep a clean pool. I have lots of trees(not on my property) My property abuts the turnpike. I can vacuum today and tomorrow it doesn't look I did anything.
My question, with above numbers is it possible to have algae? I have spots of green where the bottom joins the sides of the liner. It can be brushed away with a wave of the foot. It does disappear for a few days after I brush it. I get the dirt back within a day of brushing and vacuuming, but the "green" takes a couple of days to return. I"m entertaining the idea of slamming, this will be the first time since converting from bacquicil this year

Use muriatic to lower pH but I bet you knew that.

Elevate your FC to about 10 ppm for the next 48 hours. I have a good idea that will get rid of the green but, other than vacuuming, there is no cure for the dirt.

Do you have a robot?

Tnxs for coming back so quicly! Every year I toy with the idea of buying a robot. What little time I spend vacuuming can't justify the price of a good one.
So I don't have to slam, just bring FC up to 10 for 48 hours? Had the pool for 20 years, use to the dirt! Now I see where I goofed. Yes muriatic acid for the PH not stabilizer! Tnks again

Taking your FC to 10 for a couple of days is like a "boost" but not as thorough or dramatic as a SLAM. Your description of your conditions leads me to believe a little boost might be all you need.

I picked up an Intex robot earlier this year for $50 and have been extremely happy with it. It hooks up to the return side rather than the suction side, so it does better at stirring up silt for the filter to pick up. But it does also pick up a certain amount of leaves and grass from the bottom as well. It has a screen inside that you have to empty periodically.

I used to vacuum my pool daily to keep the bottom dirt free. I've only done so once since getting the robot, and that was because he'd gotten stuck behind the ladder and I didn't want to wait on him to get it cleared up. I keep it running 24x7.

WP_20160417_13_43_51_Pro_zpspzcclc7i.jpg

Another vote for Intex auto cleaner. Surprisingly effective. I paid more for mine, but don't regret it.

It's baaaack, the green stuff I mean!
I'm a little confused. Was under the impression that as long as your CC was at .0 or.5 you shouldn't have anything in the pool? My CC has been at .0 for the last 10 or so test.

I have some one close and open the pool due to a set of stairs I have. They require a 150lbs of sand to keep them down. I can not lift those bags any more. The schedule closing is for the 12th of this month. I know you don't use it, but I plan on using polyquat(peace of mind) and a closing procedure some one cited here somewhere?
Which is, bring FC up to slam. in my case that would be 20 CYA 50 Chlorine 6. Add quart of polyquat, run for 48 hours. According to them that will drop my FC a lot, which again according to them normal. Bring FC back up to slam and then you are ready to close.

That sound good to you? And is that "green" stuff algae? I know I have other questions, but they don;t come to mind?

CC is just one possible signal for algae, along with an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. It is definitely possible to have algae and 0 CC. That has happened to me. CC is fleeting at times and you don't always catch it. Especially with reasonable FC levels and lots of sun to burn off the CC quickly.

OK ran a OCLT last night. Checked this morning FC dropped .5, CC=.0 Last night FC=6.5, this morning it's 6.0 according to my testing. I may be paranoid, but I'm the kind of guy who believes , if you're going to do something try to get it right. The "green " stuff isn't consuming the whole pool. Just a couple of sections where the bottom meets the side of vinyl. The white foam piece on weir door flap also has a tinge of green. Maybe I'm being too picky?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.