Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement O-ring for Gizzmo?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Replacement O-ring for Gizzmo?

Hello everyone. First, I love the forum. It has really helped me learn pool maintenance.

I haven't found an answer to this question. Has anyone replaced the o-rings on Gizzmos so it can be reused year after year? Upon inspection, I noticed that mine cracked (so I don't trust it) and I can't see a reason not to reuse it if I have a proper replacement o-ring.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacement O-ring for Gizzmo?

I don't think I've ever seen a Gizmo with an O-ring, but no reason you couldn't change it. I use Teflon tape on the threads. I do change the O-rings on my winterizing plugs when they crack.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought these
    141 EPDM O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Black, 2-5/16 Scientific
    They come in handy for a number of pool related connections. My Gizzmo uses the larger threads...mine doesn't seal with teflon tape and no o-ring, so the o-ring is a must in my opinion.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

4. Back To Top    #4

The older gizmos didn't have O rings, the newer ones do and they work well. I don't use them anymore but I found out my local ace hardware just happen to have rubber O ring assortments and they had the size that fit the gizzmos. Try there.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the responses! I'll buy a pack of o-rings and see how they fit. Hopefully they fit the plugs too. I'll probably double-up with teflon tape this year too.

6. Back To Top    #6

After buying the O-rings above, I realized that they were not quite the same size. They'd probably work, but I didn't want to chance my winterized pool to a thinner and slightly larger o-ring. After measuring with a tape and some calipers, I found out that the two O-rings on my Ultra Gizzmo had outside diameters of 2-3/8" and 1-7/8" and a 1/8" thickness. I ended up buying 227 Buna-N and 223 Buna-N versions of these O-rings. Links are below.

227: 227 Buna-N O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Black, 2-1/8 Scientific
    223: 223 Buna O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Black, 1-5/8 Scientific

From researching online it doesn't sound like anyone has a true preference between Buna-N and EPDM O-rings (other than cost). If anyone has a reason to use one over the other, I'd like to hear it. My only concern was it holding up over winter. I plan to replace them annually as long as my gizzmo is in good shape.