Got my TF-100 kit, what now?

Jul 1, 2016
Easton, PA
Should I remove the tablets from the chlorinator to do the testing, or keep things as they are now and run the test? I did have a test conducted at a pool store, they said all was well. But in my readings here I have found that they are not very reliable.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

You can leave everything as-is and test anytime you like. I hope you're considering a switch to liquid chlorine. Here's a couple of links, including one that describes TFPC and the other has the complete testing instructions.

TFPC for Beginners
Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions (note that this includes OTO chlorine which we generally just use a a spot check for "any FC at all". The one we report here is the FAS-DPD test which uses powder and then drops.

Come on back and report your numbers here, looking like this:

Example only
FC 3.5
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
TA 100
CH 300
CYA 50

Run a full set of tests and describe your water condition, clear, cloudy, green etc
I would take out the tablets and start dosing with bleach to obtain your target chlorine level as per this chart Chlorine/CYA Chart

Heres the link to the video site describing how to do the tests: https://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit/videos

Once we know what your levels are and how the pool looks we can then make recommendations

Oh and welcome
:wave:

I am planning on switching to liquid chlorine, I have only been in the house for 2 weeks. I am unsure if I want to transition to liquid this close to the end of the season, or just start new next year. I will post my results hopefully tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

You can leave everything as-is and test anytime you like. I hope you're considering a switch to liquid chlorine. Here's a couple of links, including one that describes TFPC and the other has the complete testing instructions.

TFPC for Beginners
Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions (note that this includes OTO chlorine which we generally just use a a spot check for "any FC at all". The one we report here is the FAS-DPD test which uses powder and then drops.

Come on back and report your numbers here, looking like this:

Example only
FC 3.5
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
TA 100
CH 300
CYA 50

I am planning on switching to liquid chlorine, I have only been in the house for 2 weeks. I am unsure if I want to transition to liquid this close to the end of the season, or just start new next year. I will post my results hopefully tomorrow.

Ok, ran the test, and here is what the results were.

FC 4.6
CC 0.0
pH 7.6
TA 50 (ran this test twice as it turned yellow instead of red)
CH 375
CYA 120

As expected my CYA is through the roof, I assume from the tablets.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, ran the test, and here is what the results were.

FC 4.6
CC 0.0
pH 7.6
TA 50 (ran this test twice as it turned yellow instead of red)
CH 375
CYA 120

As expected my CYA is through the roof, I assume from the tablets.

Here are some more detailed testing to review for TA, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

With only 2 weeks to go dealing with your cya at closing and opening isn't a bad plan. It needs to be around 40. Using dichlor or trichlor will increase cya.

I guess I will plan to drain some water prior to closing it, then refill upon opening. I had planned on using the liquid bleach and methods found here, but with the move and working, I opted to continue with what the old owner was doing.

Anything else I can do prior to closing to assist with the process?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.