Well, I totally screwed up this evening.
I have a pentair superflow 1.5HP 230v 2 speed pump.
When we bought the house with the pool, the pump wiring was a bit bare where the flex conduit had torn away from the pump body, so there was just red, black, and green wire coming out of the pump body and then going into the torn conduit up to the electrical panel. I wanted to fix this so I bought some home depot wiring tube (non metal) and tried to replace it. Unfortunately, when I twisted the threaded portion into the pump, it pulled the black hot wire out of the wiring nut on the switch and I didn't notice. When I turned the main breaker back on and then tried to turn on the breaker for the pump, there was a loud pop, the 200 Amp main breaker shut off and the 30 amp pump breaker shut off and the pump itself ended up with a lot of black soot inside.
At this point, I've wired it all back up properly, but the pump won't turn on...it won't even hum when power is supplied. I used a current tester and have current on both hot leads and have current on both wires that are attached to the capacitor. I'm assuming that I probably completely damaged the motor, but wanted to at least ask some opinions before replacing the whole thing.
Does it sound like that situation would have broken the motor or is there a troubleshooting method to figuring this out?