Noob needs help

Jul 23, 2016
Broken Arrow Ok
New to the pool maintainence part of swimming pool. I have shocked my pool with 2 different types of products,one was leslies powder plus and the other clorox extra blue for what I thought was a mustard algae outbreak. The clorox product cleaned the water up nicely but when the dust settled there was my problem again. I'm beginning to wonder about what my problem really may be,if not algae,maybe pollen??? When I first started using my sand filter it seemed fine and after a couple of weeks it doesn't seem to filter out the finer particulates now. Question: what does algae turn into when it's dead and how is it removed,same for pollen?? When I vacuum it turns into a watery dust cloud and in the morning there it all is again :( should I just exhaust? Do you have to "slam" all algae outbreaks or will algicides do the trick? Thanks for any help

I'm new myself, but I can point out a few things. We need to know the basics of your pool, asking questions is great but the BBB method (bleach, baking soda, borax) is hinged on your test results and not using anything that's not BB or B! If your pool is temporary or permanent, IG or AGP. What test kit are you using and all your routines with your pool. This forum has a ton of folks that can help! They will be along shortly, lol!

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Most filters can filter out the dead algae but it's slow. Dead algae looks like clouds of whitish or bluish dust which settles on the bottom when the pump is not running. You can usually suck it up by moving the vacuum head very slowly, then brushing to get it all into suspension so it can get to the filter. JEC above offers some good tips. You'll get the best possible advice by following the instructions in "Read Before Posting" which is linked in my signature below.

You might also enjoy this description of Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC): TFPC for Beginners

New to the pool maintainence part of swimming pool. I have shocked my pool with 2 different types of products,one was leslies powder plus and the other clorox extra blue for what I thought was a mustard algae outbreak. The clorox product cleaned the water up nicely but when the dust settled there was my problem again. I'm beginning to wonder about what my problem really may be,if not algae,maybe pollen??? When I first started using my sand filter it seemed fine and after a couple of weeks it doesn't seem to filter out the finer particulates now. Question: what does algae turn into when it's dead and how is it removed,same for pollen?? When I vacuum it turns into a watery dust cloud and in the morning there it all is again :( should I just exhaust? Do you have to "slam" all algae outbreaks or will algicides do the trick? Thanks for any help
Welcome to the forum.

What you have now is all the dead algae on the bottom of the pool. Keep your filter running 24/7 and continue to vacuum & brush. The answer to your troubles is good old liquid chlorine.

Leslies powder plus is Cal-Hypo, meaning it added calcium as well as FC to your pool. The Clorox Extra Blue is Trichlor, adding CYA to your pool. Do you have a plaster pool?

At TFP we never 'shock' our pool, and if there is an algae bloom we will SLAM the pool (http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl)

Please tell us about your pool, size, volume, equipment, etc as it will help with the advise given. It is best to put this info in your signature line.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

How do you normally test and chlorinate the pool?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool

Glad to have you here.

I run a DE filter, so I cannot speak from experience, but many people report that adding a bit of DE to their sand filter helps with trapping the small particles.

However, first, do as others have said. Get a good test kit, read the pool school section, and then come back here. Without knowing about your set up, and the current chemistry of your water, it is pretty much impossible to recommend a course of action.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.