Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Noisy Motor

Noisy Motor

I have an AO Smith 1.5 HP motor running through a Crystal Water SVL56 pump. The pump/motor is only 4 yrs old, but has been getting louder since we opened the pool this year. However, the noise isn't consistent in that it's sometimes loud and sometimes not. When the bearings start to fail is the noise consistent or can it come and go as I'm experiencing?

I don't want to pay to replace the motor if it's something else. What do you think?
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

Re: Noisy Motor

First make sure the noise is not coming from the equipment base that the pump is resting on. In my situation, the equipment base is a large, black, plastic/fiberglass type thing. sometimes if there is a slight gap between the pump base and the equipment base, there is a loud vibratory sound. Putting a couple of wood shims between the motor base and equipment base solved that.

And of course, it could be the bearings in the motor. I took my motor to the local motor repair shop and it was $45 to replace the bearings.
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac

Thanks for the response. It's definitely coming from the motor itself.

How long did it take the motor shop to do the repair? Was it while you waited or did you have to leave it for a period of time?
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

I suppose motor repair shops vary in their turn around time. A.O. Smith is a common motor brand. I live in a small town (< 15K) so it took 3 days.
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac

This is a problem we are having too. The pool store said they would fix it, just bring the motor to them. I supposed the bearings would be replaced. However it LOOKS very difficult to get the motor off. My son would attempt this......is it very difficult?
    15' ROUND, 52" AG
    Newbie at pool ownership!

made by waterway right? if it is, it looks like 4 screws should get it off.
    http://www.waterwayplastics.com/manuals ... 9.1108.pdf
    leslies and pinch a penny both usually have service dept's, at least around the tampa area. so you can price shop if you haven't already.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

check your yellow pages under electric motors and you'll probably have someone local that repairs them.

i was about to replace ours til someone recommended doing this. they turned ours around in one day but it did run us $90. btw, ours was making noise intermittantly for a season and progressively got worse til is was constant.

also, make sure they replace the seal which i think most of them do anyway..
    Round 24' AGP
    13,500 gallons of cold water
    Sand filter
    BBB
    North Carolina

I just finished replacing my motor.
    The motor was under $170 and it was an exact replacement, the process took less than a day.
    The Hardest part was the wiring because I was working in pretty cramped quarters.

Someone on here told me last year to replace the bearings when the noise was more than I could bear, but the day I ordered the new motor, the old one completely seized up. Luckily I received the motor the next day Whew!!!

The process of taking the motor out to take it to a shop for rebuild is the same as taking it out to swap in the new one, So if they charge $90 for a set of bearings and $170 for a brand new motor - Well I opted for the New Motor.

Good luck!
    15x32 Lazy L Inground / Concrete - 25,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.5Hp/ Sand Filter, 7th season with Pool
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    BROMINE - (Purchased Home that way) Bleach shock
    400,000 btu Pentair Master Temp NG