Am I reading test results right?

Nar

Aug 25, 2016
kansas city
Hi, I have had a green mess with my pool for about 3 weeks now, and finally ordered a good test kit, which arrived today. I just had time to test a couple things before I had to leave, I think my major problem is my CYA is over 100 so I will have to half drain and refill my pool tomorrow, did not want to do this since I will be closing in 3 wks anyway, but cant close it like this anyway. The dap-fsd I filled to 25 mark and it took 60 drops to turn it to clear, so does that mean my TC is 120 ppm, then it took 3 drops to turn it back to pink, so I have zero FC? I am just wondering if I am reading this right. Will have to read up on this tonight, but am just trying to get a plan besides the half drain right now. PH 7.8, but not worrying about that right now, total alk 140. I dumped a bottle of Floc in it today earlier in disgust, and it actually looked like it was smoking like the witches brew it has become. I have been in it everyday vacuuming to waste, and my skin is still intact.

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some more detailed test instructions structions. Use a 10ml sample for the FAS/DPD test and multiply the drops times 0.5. With a 25 ml sample you multiply drops by 0.2 to get FC.

When using the 10mL sample size, you divide the number of drops by 2(or multiply by 0.5). If you use the 25mL sample, you divide drops by 5(or multiply by 0.2). Using the 10mL sample is perfectly fine and saves your reagents since you'll use less drops!

All you need to get this green monster in check is a lot of bleach and some patience!

Do the diluted CYA test to get an idea of what your CYA really is. Any CYA reading of 90+ is suspect to be higher since the test tops out at 100. Fill the CYA bottle to the bottom of the label with pool water, then to the top of the label with tap water. Shake it up and pour off the water until it is back at the bottom of the label. Then add the R-0013 reagent to the top of the label. Do the test and multiply your result by 2. For example if you get a 60, your CYA is really 120.

Okay, Thank you. I did that just now and it is 60, so it is 120. Unfortunately I added stabilizer 2 weeks ago because of my HTH test strips, plus started dosing it with Trichlor, I forgot that had stabilizer in it. I will start my drain shortly today. I was wanting to know if the CH test I did was 12 ppm or 120 ppm. And my FC was 6? I was wondering if I was reading the test right?

So with the FAS-DPD test, you used 60 drops in the 25mL sample to go clear, right? If so, 60 drops x 0.2ppm per drop = 12ppm FC. Did you then add the 5 drops of R-0003 and the water turned slightly pink again which took 3 drops of R-0871 to go clear again? That means 3 drops x 0.2ppm per drop = 0.6ppm CC.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, with a CYA of 120, you should be targeting 15ppm FC with the minimum of 9ppm FC. Until you get the water replaced, just make sure you keep it sanitary!

How much bleach to shock

Hi, I am thinking I need to shock my pool, yesterday re added half the water since my CYA was 120 and had algae mess, so now my levels are
CYA 60
CH 250
FC 10 and CC 0.5
TA 150
PH7.4
My pool is still cloudy, I have put nothing in it but muriatic acid since refilling, and it has algae, it is a bit cloudier now because I vacuumed up the algae and even with DE in the NEW sand filter it was blowing back out in the water, so I added more DE. Using the pool calculator and putting in my values, it is not telling me to shock it, though I think I need to, but don't know how much bleach to add to get it to the shock I need. I am reading through the site, but I want to get it clean before I have to close it in 3 weeks and I feel if I don't get moving its going to be pea green again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Moderator note - both threads merged together

I started a new thread on this because didn't know if I should or not since its kind of a different question but here is what it said.
Hi, I am thinking I need to shock my pool, yesterday re added half the water since my CYA was 120 and had algae mess, so now my levels are
CYA 60
CH 250
FC 10 and CC 0.5
TA 150
PH7.4
My pool is still cloudy, I have put nothing in it but muriatic acid since refilling, and it has algae, it is a bit cloudier now because I vacuumed up the algae and even with DE in the NEW sand filter it was blowing back out in the water, so I added more DE. Using the pool calculator and putting in my values, it is not telling me to shock it, though I think I need to, but don't know how much bleach to add to get it to the shock I need. I am reading through the site, but I want to get it clean before I have to close it in 3 weeks and I feel if I don't get moving its going to be pea green again.

Here is the information for how to kill algae Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

This is a process and not a one time addition of bleach to "shock" the pool. You'll need to raise your FC to shock level for your CYA and keep it there until you pass all three tests. There isn't a straight answer to how much bleach you'll need to complete the process as this could take a couple of days or even a week or more. It all depends on the pool.

Re: How much bleach to shock

Ok thank you. I have a taylor 2006

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have read that one, thank you. I think I know it, and then I am reading so much, that I just seem to get confused, after I went back outside, it dawned on me that I saw the chart of CYA and what levels for the chlorine, I guess I need to print them out. Thanks again.

Hello, I did the 311 ounces of chlorine, more like 325 oz. an hour ago, and I tested my water, and get 18.8 on total chlorine and 10 on CC. Am I testing it too soon because its 18.8 instead of 24 or did I lose that much already?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, thank you. I hope so. my memory isn't as good as it used to be.;)

Use the pool math link at the top of the web page. Put in your pool volume and put in your current readings and target readings. That is where vindeeloo got the calculation in post #12.

If your addition didn't get you to target, you might be slightly underestimating your water volume. Usually you'll want to test about 30 minutes after adding chlorine with pump running. Focus on FC now and ignore everything else now that you have elevated chlorine. The PH test isn't even valid with FC above 10. Make sure you are brushing as frequently as possible while keeping and maintaining chlorine at shock level for your CYA.

I'm speaking from solid experience at killing algae ;) not just textbook/pool school knowledge :)

Use the 10ml sample and divide your drop count by 2. It will save on reagents. If you are getting low-ish on anything, order more ASAP.

I am worried that you are still having problems testing. If you used a 25ml sample of water, your results indicate that you used 94 drops of 0871 for FC and 50 drops for CC. That is likely an error in math. Please tell us your sample size and the number of drops you used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.