New Pool Build: Which Hayward light to go with?

Genblue

Silver Supporter
Feb 12, 2013
Hello,
We're hoping to have our first pool installed in about two weeks.
It's a 20'x33' Custom Figure 8.
The PB uses Hayward equipment so we've decided on the following (unless anyone has other suggestions):
EcoStar Pump
15CUL Chlorinator
C5030 Cartridge filter
300K BTU NG Heater
Prologic automation
Dolphin S300i cleaner

The only thing we can't figure out is which Hayward (or other brand) lighting we should go with.
We prefer to go with multicolour nicheless 1.5" lights. We originally had 4 but the PB suggested going with 2 - 11" ColourLogic lights. PB typically installs RainbowRays since he's had few reliability issues with them but given our automation is recommending that we go with Hayward lighting.

In reviewing this forum, Hayward LED lighting has had its share of reliability issues.

Any suggestions on what to go with would be appreciated.

I love our Hayward ColorLogic full size lights. I don't have the https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/ProLogicTotalPoolManagementAQL-COLOR-MODHV.pdf ColorLogic Network Module which allows FULL control of the lights (think gee-whiz control) but without it the changing of colors is simple enough by cycling the lights. If you have 3 or 4 of the lights the network module is probably more bang for your buck because of the 'motion' options, etc. You can create running light shows like Christmas lights.

Regarding reliability - no problems here in our fourth season. I'd highly recommend them.

On the nichleless, I do know you'd need twice the number of the highest wattage for similar brightness to the large ones (roughly and not scientific). Another way to think about it is that the large ones will only have two points of failure possible versus double that for the nicheless. Food for thought. I suppose there is some aesthetic benefit to the nicheless. But regardless, the color LED's are awesome. Agree that it's best to not mix brands of lights versus automation.

Great choice on the T-Cell-15 Cell saltwater chlorine generator. I highly recommend SWCG's. Highly.

On the lights, in our build thread (link in my signature) on page 7 there are a few shots of the pool with the lights on. They aren't the best representation (show the lights a little brighter than real life - and funkier than real life with the color separation).

Thanks for all of the feedback. I've been reading about the ProLogic vs. OmniLogic differences and I'm leaning towards the OmniLogic control. If I understand correctly, Hayward at the moment doesn't offer a Colour Logic Network module but this is on the roadmap. Maybe the Hayward rep. can chime in?

bmoreswin, the pool shots on page 7 look awesome.

So I think that I'm going to go with 2 of the Large Universal Colour Logic lights. I might have to do something to light the sun ledge. Maybe use a CL320?

Oh, it could be that they don't have the network module for the OmniLogic (odd as that sounds - Omni and all - HA).

For the ledge lights, the ColorLogic spa light is a good option. Keep in mind that the top edge of the light (not bezel) must be at least 4" below the normal water level of the pool per Hayward. You might also consider (I would) going with lighted bubblers on the ledge - I have no details on these but see many with them. Or the 320 nicheless you mention.

Thanks to all of your help, I think that we're heading towards 3x spa 6" lights. One in the deep end, one in the shallow end and one to cover the sun ledge.

It's interesting that you mentioned the bubblers. i would like to put two in but my wife thinks that they are useless. The kids also want them so I've asked Hayward if they offer a solution that would work well with the OmniLogic control and unfortunately they don't offer a solution. They suggested the CMP or Nexus bubblers.

Does anyone know of a good supplier for an umbrella sleeve that could go on the sun ledge?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.