Brownsburg, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Our insurance co sent us a nice policy cancellation notice unless the diving board was removed. We complied and took it down and sent the required proof photos. Now they want us to build something to cover the exposed electrical box and bolts and send more proof photos. Our dilemma is we are only going to live in this house one more year and we do not want to invest much money to make the area safe.. ie cut concrete, re-run electrical, etc. Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do? Can anyone share pictures? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some photos of the area
41acee9b55bd9c9281f79e3bcc15783b.jpg
759c2a4b568d866a9633bfbbb9f9e115.jpg
db46bad01f2d1b3e9662bb14d55b4918.jpg
9d1f6e215484434c24715df95d851e2e.jpg

Another option is to place a storage bench there - like below. You could cut out area in bottom to allow the bolts/electrical, and then cover them inside. Can buy many plastic models on amazon and elsewhere, or could build one.

If you don't mind, why did they want to cancel. Was there something wrong with the board itself? Our insurance did not even go up when we installed our pool with the diving board.

81VQXZYhKCL._SL1500_.jpg

I'd grind the bolts off almost flush (don't want to mark up the concrete). Then I'd attempt to drill them out and then patch the hole or if drilling doesn't work paint the exposed bolt head that was ground flush. Then I'd remove the outlet and pull the wire and disconnect it from panel. Then I'd remove what conduit i can from the concrete, down an inch or so and then patch hole.

Why is there an electrical outlet below where the diving board was?

Our insurance co sent us a nice policy cancellation notice unless the diving board was removed. We complied and took it down and sent the required proof photos. Now they want us to build something to cover the exposed electrical box and bolts and send more proof photos. Our dilemma is we are only going to live in this house one more year and we do not want to invest much money to make the area safe.. ie cut concrete, re-run electrical, etc. Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do? Can anyone share pictures? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Was this a spontaneous change in their policy or was it the result of a claim? Which company? Our insurer didn't even take note of our diving board (i mentioned in for the quote and he said "doesn't matter").

I'd grind the bolts off almost flush (don't want to mark up the concrete). Then I'd attempt to drill them out and then patch the hole or if drilling doesn't work paint the exposed bolt head that was ground flush. Then I'd remove the outlet and pull the wire and disconnect it from panel. Then I'd remove what conduit i can from the concrete, down an inch or so and then patch hole.

Why is there an electrical outlet below where the diving board was?

That would be my route as well. It's going to be faster and cheaper than any other solution. I am intrigued by the need for an electrical outlet under the diving board myself.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our pools are identical!! The electrical box is for the pool light. I'm waiting for my ins co to do the same. My first ins co canceled me unless I removed the diving board. Too much of a hazard I guess. I changed companies instead. When it happens and I'm sure it will, I'll put a bench there to sit on and also cover my light unit.

We switched our Insurance from State Farm to Progressive. (Long story why and I won't bore you with that info) We live in Georgia. Progressive (represented by a company called ASI) sent someone out to look at our property about 2 months after we signed with them to report back to their underwriters. (Common practice) It was noted that we had a diving board and ASI deems a diving board to much risk so they asked us to remove it and show proof. When we did not get to it in a timely manner (2weeks, sheesh give a girl a break, we were away on vacation when they called with the removal request) we got the cancellation notice along with a refund check. Long story short, we've now complied by removing the board and submitting photos. Underwriting was not satisfied and we were told to remove the bolts (tripping/foot injury hazard) but could leave the power box as long as we cover it with something large people have to walk around (due to it being set into poured concrete) - yes it goes to the pool light. I fought them on removing the bolts as I want to replace the diving board when we sell the house in a year or so or at least give the new owners the option of using it if their homeowners insurance allows.
I really like the storage box idea for my patio cushions. Hubby and I are going to Home Depot tomorrow. I will post our decision as we need to submit more pictures for approval early next week.

Was this a spontaneous change in their policy or was it the result of a claim? Which company? Our insurer didn't even take note of our diving board (i mentioned in for the quote and he said "doesn't matter").

It was a result of the company finally sending their field person out to do an in person inspection of our property and reporting back to underwriting. We had recently switched insurance companies. Our previous company had no issue with our diving board.

It was a result of the company finally sending their field person out to do an in person inspection of our property and reporting back to underwriting. We had recently switched insurance companies. Our previous company had no issue with our diving board.

Sorry for all that. I live in Georgia as well. Wrote new policy with Auto-Owners Insurance. They sent out inspector and there was no problem with diving board (10' - can see time in profile picture). Insurance quote was the same with or without the pool.

I can see the logic in making you remove the bolts. If you remove them, it's highly unlikely you will just slap the board back up. Ins. cos. are all over the board on this one. Sometimes it the primary, sometimes its the umbrella that has the problem. Our primary was fine, but the umbrella company said no. We re-placed all our coverage (for less money and better coverage) so the diving board could remain. But we are staying here and specifically built a diving pool - so the issue was different.

Agree on grinding off the bolts and putting a very large pot over it. I'd cut out the bottom to fit the electrical box and then place a solid plastic container upside down over the box (within the pot) to keep it from being saturated in wet soil. Then plant some nice flowers!

put the board back and switch homeowners. if they sent you a refund check, should be pretty simple right? try allstate, they beat state farm for me and have great coverage.

if that electrical box is your pool light, you cannot remove it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.