Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Cover up Ideas- had to remove diving board

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Cover up Ideas- had to remove diving board

Our insurance co sent us a nice policy cancellation notice unless the diving board was removed. We complied and took it down and sent the required proof photos. Now they want us to build something to cover the exposed electrical box and bolts and send more proof photos. Our dilemma is we are only going to live in this house one more year and we do not want to invest much money to make the area safe.. ie cut concrete, re-run electrical, etc. Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do? Can anyone share pictures? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Now living in Central Indiana and will be pool building soon.
    Previous Home Evans Georgia
    IG, Vinyl, 27k gal, Saltwater, Hayward sand filter, Pentair Superflo Pump, Hayward Turbo Cell T15, Aqua Rite SWG, built in 2009, Polaris Pool Cleaner with booster pump, chems tested at local pool store.

2. Back To Top    #2

Here are some photos of the area

IG, Vinyl, 27k gal, Saltwater, Hayward sand filter, Pentair Superflo Pump, Hayward Turbo Cell T15, Aqua Rite SWG, built in 2009, Polaris Pool Cleaner with booster pump, chems tested at local pool store.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need Cover up Ideas- had to remove diving board

How about a small planter box made of cedar 2x6s?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    How about a small planter box made of cedar 2x6s?
    I was kinda thinking that as well. Do you think it would look awkward to have a planter box in front of landscaping?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Another option is to place a storage bench there - like below. You could cut out area in bottom to allow the bolts/electrical, and then cover them inside. Can buy many plastic models on amazon and elsewhere, or could build one.

If you don't mind, why did they want to cancel. Was there something wrong with the board itself? Our insurance did not even go up when we installed our pool with the diving board.

38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd grind the bolts off almost flush (don't want to mark up the concrete). Then I'd attempt to drill them out and then patch the hole or if drilling doesn't work paint the exposed bolt head that was ground flush. Then I'd remove the outlet and pull the wire and disconnect it from panel. Then I'd remove what conduit i can from the concrete, down an inch or so and then patch hole.

Why is there an electrical outlet below where the diving board was?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JodieM View Post
    Our insurance co sent us a nice policy cancellation notice unless the diving board was removed. We complied and took it down and sent the required proof photos. Now they want us to build something to cover the exposed electrical box and bolts and send more proof photos. Our dilemma is we are only going to live in this house one more year and we do not want to invest much money to make the area safe.. ie cut concrete, re-run electrical, etc. Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do? Can anyone share pictures? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Was this a spontaneous change in their policy or was it the result of a claim? Which company? Our insurer didn't even take note of our diving board (i mentioned in for the quote and he said "doesn't matter").
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo View Post
    I'd grind the bolts off almost flush (don't want to mark up the concrete). Then I'd attempt to drill them out and then patch the hole or if drilling doesn't work paint the exposed bolt head that was ground flush. Then I'd remove the outlet and pull the wire and disconnect it from panel. Then I'd remove what conduit i can from the concrete, down an inch or so and then patch hole.

Why is there an electrical outlet below where the diving board was?
    That would be my route as well. It's going to be faster and cheaper than any other solution. I am intrigued by the need for an electrical outlet under the diving board myself.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

9. Back To Top    #9

I think that electric box is for the wet nich pool light.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

The box is for the pool light.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Our pools are identical!! The electrical box is for the pool light. I'm waiting for my ins co to do the same. My first ins co canceled me unless I removed the diving board. Too much of a hazard I guess. I changed companies instead. When it happens and I'm sure it will, I'll put a bench there to sit on and also cover my light unit.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

12. Back To Top    #12

well in that case I would LEAVE the bolts and use them to secure the storage box.

Weird that they wanted you to remove it.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

We switched our Insurance from State Farm to Progressive. (Long story why and I won't bore you with that info) We live in Georgia. Progressive (represented by a company called ASI) sent someone out to look at our property about 2 months after we signed with them to report back to their underwriters. (Common practice) It was noted that we had a diving board and ASI deems a diving board to much risk so they asked us to remove it and show proof. When we did not get to it in a timely manner (2weeks, sheesh give a girl a break, we were away on vacation when they called with the removal request) we got the cancellation notice along with a refund check. Long story short, we've now complied by removing the board and submitting photos. Underwriting was not satisfied and we were told to remove the bolts (tripping/foot injury hazard) but could leave the power box as long as we cover it with something large people have to walk around (due to it being set into poured concrete) - yes it goes to the pool light. I fought them on removing the bolts as I want to replace the diving board when we sell the house in a year or so or at least give the new owners the option of using it if their homeowners insurance allows.
    I really like the storage box idea for my patio cushions. Hubby and I are going to Home Depot tomorrow. I will post our decision as we need to submit more pictures for approval early next week.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    Was this a spontaneous change in their policy or was it the result of a claim? Which company? Our insurer didn't even take note of our diving board (i mentioned in for the quote and he said "doesn't matter").
    It was a result of the company finally sending their field person out to do an in person inspection of our property and reporting back to underwriting. We had recently switched insurance companies. Our previous company had no issue with our diving board.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JodieM View Post
    It was a result of the company finally sending their field person out to do an in person inspection of our property and reporting back to underwriting. We had recently switched insurance companies. Our previous company had no issue with our diving board.
    Sorry for all that. I live in Georgia as well. Wrote new policy with Auto-Owners Insurance. They sent out inspector and there was no problem with diving board (10' - can see time in profile picture). Insurance quote was the same with or without the pool.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

I can see the logic in making you remove the bolts. If you remove them, it's highly unlikely you will just slap the board back up. Ins. cos. are all over the board on this one. Sometimes it the primary, sometimes its the umbrella that has the problem. Our primary was fine, but the umbrella company said no. We re-placed all our coverage (for less money and better coverage) so the diving board could remain. But we are staying here and specifically built a diving pool - so the issue was different.

Agree on grinding off the bolts and putting a very large pot over it. I'd cut out the bottom to fit the electrical box and then place a solid plastic container upside down over the box (within the pot) to keep it from being saturated in wet soil. Then plant some nice flowers!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

Ah. I have State Farm and it's never been an issue. Guess I should stick with them for the time being.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

18. Back To Top    #18

put the board back and switch homeowners. if they sent you a refund check, should be pretty simple right? try allstate, they beat state farm for me and have great coverage.

if that electrical box is your pool light, you cannot remove it.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.