New pool construction

Aug 25, 2016
Westchester, NY
Hello all! I found this site while researching my new pool. I'd love to ask some general equipment questions and ideas. My pool will begin construction next month. It will be an 18x36 gunite pool with spa. Hopefully this is the right place to post these questions. I'm still learning everything so sorry I for any dumb questions.

First off salt water or chlorine? Is the equipment I'm getting any good or should I swap some of them now for better units. We wanted salt water but the installer is saying its not any better and this system uses only a little chlorine.

The pool builder plans right now call for an aqua link power center with PDA, fusion I ground chlorine tablet feeder + nature2 system, a Andy pro series DEV series DE filter, a handy pro series epump variable speed pump, a raypak propane heater with digital control and an eclipse 10/20/40 UV sanitizer. What about a solar heater for pool?

Thoughts? Any and all help would be great. TRying to spend my money wisely and get the best system now that will save me money in the long run.

Hello all! I found this site while researching my new pool. I'd love to ask some general equipment questions and ideas. My pool will begin construction next month. It will be an 18x36 gunite pool with spa. Hopefully this is the right place to post these questions. I'm still learning everything so sorry I for any dumb questions.

First off salt water or chlorine? Is the equipment I'm getting any good or should I swap some of them now for better units. We wanted salt water but the installer is saying its not any better and this system uses only a little chlorine.

The pool builder plans right now call for an aqua link power center with PDA, fusion I ground chlorine tablet feeder + nature2 system, a Andy pro series DEV series DE filter, a handy pro series epump variable speed pump, a raypak propane heater with digital control and an eclipse 10/20/40 UV sanitizer. What about a solar heater for pool?

Thoughts? Any and all help would be great. TRying to spend my money wisely and get the best system now that will save me money in the long run.

Better to post a list of equipment by model, but I can tell you that the majority of people here will vote down the chlorine tablet feeder (either get a liquid chlorine system or saltwater), the Nature2 and the UV sanitizer. There's no "only a little chlorine." The pool needs as much as it needs and it's dependent on many factors. I don't have saltwater, I use liquid chlorine, but everyone I know with saltwater loves it. It generates whatever chlorine is needed. The chlorine tablets add either stabilizer or calcium, depending on the type and neither are desirable in uncontrollable amounts.

I see from what I've been reading here that the mineral system is bad for the pool. He's installing the zodiac iaqualink for automation power center and I would need something that works with that. I really need to get the whole system in line before the build and not waster money buying a system that I'm going to rip out next year.

I just looked up what "zodiac iaqualink" is and to be honest that looks like bells and whistles that aren't necessary. If I had to use my phone to turn my pump on and off I'd either be constantly forgetting to turn it on or turn it off. Nothing this person is suggesting is a good idea; mineral, UV, tablet feeder etc.

There's nothing wrong with just a pump, filter, SWG and a mechanical timer. SWG optional of course.

Yeah the wifi for the phone is optional to control everything. It comes with a remote which is nice if you want to warm up the spa before going out one night or raise the temp of the pool. The system seems good I just want heating and pump and filter that work with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.