New to TFP

KenFirch

Silver Supporter
Aug 15, 2016
Sacramento CA
Hello all,

First post here. After paying a pool guy for several years at $55/month to just handle the chemicals, I've decided to go the TFP route. We just finished remodeling our 25 year old pool, basically everything except digging the hole and gunnite. Equipment listed in signature. Pool was finished late July, and just had the startup process completed and salt added. I ordered the K-2006 test kit and SpeedStir, but in hindsight should have gotten the TF-100. I’m now trying to dial in the SWG, IntelliPH, and pump runtimes. I just installed the IntelliPH yesterday, and have it dialed way back for now. Here are my current readings:

FC – 6.5
CC – 0
pH – 7.6
TA – 80
CH – 220
CYA – 45
SALT – 2900

So, using PoolMath, my immediate needs are to slowly raise my CYA to ~70, then a day or 2 later get my CH to ~350.
Just want to make sure I’m right track.

Thanks, Ken
IMG_0986_zpsgolqhvum.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Looks like you've done a lot of homework here already! Nicely done. That's half the battle. Just trying to absorb what we teach here without info overload. Once you put it into practice, it all comes into focus rather quickly. You're doing it right but might want to target 60 ppm CYA first, then sneak it up to 70 ppm after that.

Great looking pool!

Very nice pool.

Here are a couple of tips to dial in your run time.
1. Keep increasing your CYA until you get to about 70.
2. Keep you FC at least 2 ppm higher than your target until you know that you have the run time / SWG % set right. Use bleach to get it to this point and then the SWG will keep it there.
3. Use the chart below to determine the run time / SWG %. In CA, this time of year with alot of sun and CYA of 45, I would be using 3-4 ppm as the starting point.

Other:
Your PH will constantly climb due to the SWG outgassing and new plaster. For the 1st few months of my new plaster, I was told to keep the PH on the low side. I would adjust to 7.2 and then when it climbed to 7.6-7.8, I adjusted it back down.

Your CH is probably a little low but not drastically. See the recommended levels (350 - 450). Just keep in mind that if you need to add water due to evaporation, if the CH is high in the water, then it add as well, so you need to know what your fill water CH is.

Thanks! This site has been a wealth of info so far.

Quick question on the SWG...even if the pump speed is as low as ~1700 rpm, the SWG still generates the same amount of chlorine, right?
Right now I've got it programmed to run at 1700 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, then up to 2600 rpm until 3:00 pm.

Ken

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.