PH Won't Budge

May 31, 2009
Houston, TX
I have made two attempts to raise my PH and after each addition of Borax, no change. I have been sitting at 7.2. The pool calculator tells me to add 57oz of borax to bring it up to 7.6. I've added roughly 110-115 oz of Borax total with no changes. Is something preventing the PH from coming up? Off the top of my head, my levels are:

FC: 3
PH: 7.2
TA: 90
CYA: 80 (on monday)
CH: 300

sS

2 questions:
What are you chlorinating with?
Why do you feel you need to raise the pH? It's actually OK at 7.2 and if you are not using trichlor or dichlor it will most likely slowly rise on it's own over time.

I am using Tri Chlor - 73%. I was sitting at 3 yesterday evening, added some to bring it up to 5 or 6 before we left for the Astros game. I think that since it rained just a little while we were gone, that kept my level around 3 until this morning.

I have not been adjusting the CYA. It has been up in the 70-80 area for the last couple of weeks or so. I like it there for now so the sun doesn't kill the pool....and neither does the daily use it has been getting since schools out.

I added baking soda on Monday and brought my TA up to where it is almost immediately. After adjusting my TA, the PH had jumped from 6.8 to 7.2, but is holding steady at that 7.2 after adding the Borax twice. My thought was to adjust the TA first then fine tune the PH. I guess I was expecting the PH to rise just as fast. I'll leave it be and just watch for a little bit, since all my other levels are about where they should be.

sS

Trichlor is constantly adding CYA and lowering the PH. When you add borax, the borax raises the PH and then the trichlor lowers it again, so it looks like it hasn't changed.

Your CYA level is already fairly high, if you keep using trichlor it is going to continue to go up and will likely lead to problems eventually.

When using trichlor, it is often best to use soda ash/washing soda to raise the PH. Soda ash will actually raise both the PH and the TA in just about the same proportions that trichlor lowers both of them. You can also use borax and baking soda, soda ash is just a little simpler in the long run.

With a CYA at 80 at the start of the pool season and contnued trichlor use you might be heading for trouble come the heat of August! Just be aware of this!

Due-ly noted....Bring my CYA down.

I guess I also nee to add that I am not using all three B's. Just Borax and Baking Soda. Until my Tri-Chlor is gone, I was going to put off using bleach. Should I go ahead and start using bleach and keep the tri-chlor for back up?

sS

If you are thinking about switching to BBB, it is best to do so before your CYA gets too high. Your CYA level is already as high as I would ever want to see it, so best to stop using trichlor now, rather than later.

IF your DE filter is the backwashing kind (not all are) then you will lower the CYA a bit over time with backwashing so there might come a day when you NEED to use some trichlor for a while to bring it back up. Just keep the trichlor tightly sealed, dry, and away from climate extremes and it will last a very long time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Funny you mention DE backwashing, because I was just doing some thinking about that. I have no idea what my CYA was before last weekend, I backwashed Sunday - tested on Monday. I will be backwashing again this weekend, most likely friday. It will be interesting to see what my CYA is when I do a full test this weekend.

sS

PaulR said:
That's what I do. Bought a bucket of tabs before I figured out BBB... now I use tabs only for vacations, and it's probably a lifetime supply.
--paulr

I found a great usage for my tabs... drop one in the back of the tank of your toilet... and your bowls will stay clean and fresh! (and it's a whole-lot cheaper than the tablets you get that do the same thing from Safeway...).

- Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.